1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Teleconverter for Tokina SZ-X 70-210

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zioroby6, Jul 11, 2018.

1. zioroby6

zioroby6 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018
    Italy
    Hello everybody, I'm new in the forums and also in photography field. I've recently bought my first camera, an E-PL5 with its 14-42 kit lens, and I've then added a Fujian 35mm f1.6 and a "brand new" Tokina SZ-X 70-210mm f4-5.6 to have a few more choices when shooting. I've already tested the Tokina to shoot the moon at full zoom, but I think that a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter might be useful, also in view of the 27th of July eclipse.
    Now, since the Tokina has an OM mount, the question is: can I just buy an OM teleconverter and use it between the lens and the OM-M4/3 adapter? Are all the OM teleconverters OM-OM on both sides? I have never seen one in real life, just in pictures, furthermore I'm a noob in this field, so I don't want to make a stupid purchase...
    Thanks in advance guys!

2. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, yes an OM TC should work.

Other options would include the Oly MC-14 TC, as long as the lens doesn't have a protruding rear element and the adapter doesn't have any glass in it.

Or the 4/3 teleconverters could probably be used, but then you'd need an OM->4/3 and 4/3->mu43 adapters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. zioroby6

zioroby6 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for the reply! I had seen the Olympus teleconverter, but it would be out of my budget, since I'm a student and I'm just starting to get into photography... So, going the cheap way means getting an old OM teleconverter on eBay; I've seen a few of them, so if I've understood well I can just buy one that doesn't protrude too much? My OM-M4/3 adapter has no glass, it's a simple Fotga one I got on Aliexpress.
    By the way, any brand I should focus on while searching?
    Thanks again for the help!

Edit: ok, I've found a Kiron MC7 2x Teleconverter with OM mount for 15€ shipped on Ebay. I've read here and there that it is (or was) one of the best teleconverters, so I couldn't let it go for that price. Hope I get it soon to make some tests before the 27th :) 

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.