Tele-Macro Lenses ??

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
It appears there is a gaping hole in the whole m43 lens system...

That would be a telephoto lens near 200mm FF equiv. that goes to 1:1 or even to 1/2 magnification with at least AF if not both AF and IS.

Oly has the closest thing with their 60mm macro; tho it won't have IS for us users of Panasonic bodies and doesn't really have enough reach for this type of field macro photography. A friend does pretty well with lizards & snakes using the longer PL zooms, but not for insects.

Samyang, Rokinon, etc. have 100mm macro lenses (200 mm FF) but they are all MF, and of course not stabilized. To get quick shots of insects at say 1/2 to 1 (in the macro range), AF is a must and IS is super helpful at any higher mag. ratio.

if you look at Nikon, there are a dozen or more choices, from the older AF-D screw drives to the newer Sigma lenses.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't Sigma make something to exploit this gap?

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
There is the Sigma 105mm 2.8 1:1 macro lens for 4/3. AF is slow but the lens works well on m4/3 camaras if you can live with the slow AF - it also works with 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters. If they could do a MFT version of that lens with fast AF, I am sure they would find a big following.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
Such lenses are a bit of a rarity in any system. There are 180mm & 200mm macros around in other mounts but they are considerably more expensive than the run of the mill ~100mm options. Any of these can be adapted if working distance is essential - not that you'll get AF, but thats generally not used for macro shots anyway.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've still got the Sigma 150mm macro for 4/3's, although it can still be frustrating using AF (with MMF-3) on E-M1 models as it can jigger about getting there (& not really much better on the E30 DSLR), which may be more that I can't hold the camera still, but impossible on the other CD-AF ones for AF as it just can't finish the AF cycle with it in focus. It would be nice to get a longer native M4/3's macro lens though. It can bee used as a tele lens for a static subject but not for any action.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom