1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tele-Macro Lenses ??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ralf-11, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM.

1. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    It appears there is a gaping hole in the whole m43 lens system...

That would be a telephoto lens near 200mm FF equiv. that goes to 1:1 or even to 1/2 magnification with at least AF if not both AF and IS.

Oly has the closest thing with their 60mm macro; tho it won't have IS for us users of Panasonic bodies and doesn't really have enough reach for this type of field macro photography. A friend does pretty well with lizards & snakes using the longer PL zooms, but not for insects.

Samyang, Rokinon, etc. have 100mm macro lenses (200 mm FF) but they are all MF, and of course not stabilized. To get quick shots of insects at say 1/2 to 1 (in the macro range), AF is a must and IS is super helpful at any higher mag. ratio.

if you look at Nikon, there are a dozen or more choices, from the older AF-D screw drives to the newer Sigma lenses.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't Sigma make something to exploit this gap?

2. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    There is the Sigma 105mm 2.8 1:1 macro lens for 4/3. AF is slow but the lens works well on m4/3 camaras if you can live with the slow AF - it also works with 1.4 and 2.0 teleconverters. If they could do a MFT version of that lens with fast AF, I am sure they would find a big following.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Just put a Canon 500D on a PL 100-400 - crazy good 1:1+ macro.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Such lenses are a bit of a rarity in any system. There are 180mm & 200mm macros around in other mounts but they are considerably more expensive than the run of the mill ~100mm options. Any of these can be adapted if working distance is essential - not that you'll get AF, but thats generally not used for macro shots anyway.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've still got the Sigma 150mm macro for 4/3's, although it can still be frustrating using AF (with MMF-3) on E-M1 models as it can jigger about getting there (& not really much better on the E30 DSLR), which may be more that I can't hold the camera still, but impossible on the other CD-AF ones for AF as it just can't finish the AF cycle with it in focus. It would be nice to get a longer native M4/3's macro lens though. It can bee used as a tele lens for a static subject but not for any action.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.