1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

tele greater than 300mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 8, 2011.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are there any native lens greater than 300mm? I am looking at getting two of the ag-af100 video cameras to replace canon XL1s but need equivalent reach. The XL1s 16x zoom is a 5.5-88mm on a 1/3 inch sensor so that makes it a 40-635mm or so{35mm equivalent}. The cameras have to be at the back of the room and the speaker is on stage at the other end. One camera is a close-up and almost all the way zoomed. The 300mm lenses would be close but might not be close enough.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The closest thing to "native" would be in the Four-Thirds mount. They will behave the exact same as Micro Four-Thirds lenses but will autofocus slightly slower since they are made for PDAF but Micro Four-Thirds (or video cameras for that matter) uses CDAF, and they can't use C-AF on m4/3 (only S-AF). I assume you'll be using manual focus for video anyways. Your longest reach choices would be the Sigma APO 135-400mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 (aka the "Bigma"), or the Sigma APO 300m-800mm f/5.6.
    You will need a Four-Thirds mount adapter like the Panasonic DMW-MA1 or Olympus MMF-1. There is also an Olympus MMF-2 but it's made of a lighter metal and may not be appropriate for these large lenses.

Don't forget though, that you can mount virtually any other mount onto a Micro Four-Thirds camera via adapters. Since you only need manual focus for video, all your requirement will be is that the lens has a manual aperture ring (or else you'll have to get an adapter that has one or can power the electronics of the lens).

Also, you don't really need much more than 300mm to make the 40-635mm EFL reach. Micro Four-Thirds has a 2x crop factor (shooting at 4:3 this is inaccurate, but it's quite accurate for shooting at 16:9 aspect which is close enough to the 3:2 aspect of 35mm double-frame), so you should only need an 20-320mm on Micro Four-Thirds to get the same reach as the XL1. The native Micro Four-Thirds Lumix 100-300mm or the m.Zuiko 75-300mm lens should be close enough in the telephoto end, then you can add a 14-42mm, 14-140mm, or 14-150mm lens to make up the other end of the range (take your pick between Lumix and m.Zuiko, as they both make essentially the same lenses in those ranges).

3. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    The Panasonic 100-300 or Olympus 75-300 are the longest system lenses. The Panasonic has OIS, if that's important for your shooting. Both are "600mm" in 35mm terms, after the focal length crop.

There are no system teleconverters for M43. You COULD use a screw-on teleconveter in front of the lens, but then you'd be taking lenses that are already "sharp enough" (read: not super high quality) and reducing their sharpness considerably.

I don't know if the AF100 has an ETC mode like the GH-2, but if it does that would easily solve your reach problem: Panasonic GH2 1:1 Mode Revealed

600mm-e and 635mm-e are pretty darn close, really.

4. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    stick on a 2x multiplier conversion lens , hey, it's an option

5. speedandstyle

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes I will be using manual focus.

It seems the Sigma four-thirds lenses{or at least the tele ones} have been discontinued but I might be able to find one NOS or maybe a good used one. I think the Panny 100-300mm will work but it will be close. I will try it first and if it doesn't then go longer.

As far as I can tell from the info online the AF100 does not have the 1:1 crop mode that the GH2 does , wish it did! I would love to be able to use 16mm cine lenses.

I wish there was a tele-converter for m43 , there are ones for 4/3. That was my first thought but I couldn't find one. The 100-300mm and a 1.4x converter would be perfect for what I want.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this is a very unfortunate circumstance! Unfortunately, Sigma has discontinued a large number of their Four-Thirds lenses. This is a huge blow to the Four-Thirds standard, as Sigma was the one company besides Olympus and Panasonic (who also dropped out) who was making Autofocus lenses for the system (the other contributors were making manual focus lenses, which is really not much different than using a mount adapter), and the Sigma lenses were filling gaps that were left out of the Olympus lineup (for instance, the 300mm+ range, and the telephoto macros like the 100mm/2.8 and 150mm/2.8). You should still be able to find stock of those Sigma lenses though, even though they are no longer producing new stock. At least used, if not new...

If you are using Four-Thirds lenses, then you can use the excellent high quality Olympus EC-14 (1.4x) and EC-20 (2.0x) teleconverters. Also, if you adapt other SLR lenses to Four-Thirds before adapting to Micro Four-Thirds (Four-Thirds has the shortest SLR mount so will adapt virtually all SLR lenses, though it won't adapt cine lenses and rangefinder lenses like Micro Four-Thirds can), then you can also use those same teleconverters with any legacy SLR lenses as well. Pretty much any zoom lens in the Micro Four-Thirds category will have a Four-Thirds equivalent, as Four-Thirds has been around a lot longer. The only thing more abundant in Micro Four-Thirds mount are standard primes from 12mm-45mm. Four-Thirds had a great selection of fast zooms, but a very small selection of fast primes. Micro Four-Thirds still has no telephoto primes though, whereas Four-Thirds has the excellent 150mm f/2 and 300mm f/2.8 (nicknamed the Little Tuna and Big Tuna). But it doesn't sound like you're even interested in primes, so I'm digressing with too much information... ;)

PS, if you couldn't tell I was a Four-Thirds DSLR system user before Micro Four-Thirds came into being. ;) The Four-Thirds system was known for its uber-sharp, high resolving glass, and I still fall back to that system's glass all the time.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The GH2 and AF100 have a special mode that uses a cropped part of the sensor with full 1920x1080 resolution. Wouldn't that be enough with the 100-300?

Gordon

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I didn't know that Gordon, but that's very smart of them to put that in. Do you know what the crop factor would be with such a small section of the sensor?

9. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    "As a consequence, any lens put on the GH2 when shot in ETC video mode has an effective focal length of 2.6X of what's marked on the barrel."

Source: Panasonic GH2 1:1 Mode Revealed

Video of birds with GH2 + 100-300mm ETC mode (Watch in HD!):
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/19585507]Birds in snow on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/23235270"]American Goldfinch on Vimeo[/ame]

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sweet, then that means the OP only needs a lens 15mm-244mm to match the reach of the XL1. That's a lot less wasteful of the high-resolution captures of the Micro Four-Thirds system rather than just cutting it down to video resolution.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Precisely! Would recommend the 100-300 as well. Definitely enough reach.

DH

12. speedandstyle

Does the AF100 have that mode? :confused:
    I have found multiple others asking but no answer that it does. I do know that the sensor is not the same as the GH. Anyway if you have proof that the AF100 will do the crop mode I would greatly appreciate that being confirmed.

13. speedandstyle

I just got a reply on another forum from a very experienced AF100 user and it DOES NOT have the Extra Tele Conversion{ETC} mode.