1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tele extenders

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Superstriker#8, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Im wondering if there are any good quality thread mount tele extender they I can put on the Oly 60 macro, and have it still be able to focus close.

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I assume by thread mount you mean using the filter threads rather than being behind the lens. I've only tried one of these which was absolutely appalling! Even with a 6MP camera I was much better off just cropping. However more relevant was the loss of close focus which I believe is inherent in the design.
    Rear mounted ones do not loose close focus, but loose light and need to have suitable communication links to keep AF etc.

3. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Which one was it that you tried?

4. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    There are no native M43 mount teleconverters.

There are screw-on converters like Petrochemist mentioned, but they tend to affect image quality more than behind-the-lens TCs, and I suspect that difference would be exaggerated at macro distances.

If there WERE M43-mount TC's, they would not affect the focus of your 60/2.8; you'd be able to focus 1:1 all the way to infinity. This kind of setup is pretty handy IMHO; you lose a tiny bit of sharpness and one stop of light, but gain 1.4x magnification and a little more macro reach.

Hopefully when Olympus and Panasonic start getting serious about telephotos we'll see a TC. The 40-150/2.8 and 150/2.8 that are slated for next year would be perfect lenses to introduce a 1.4x and 2x TC with!

5. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    It was a NEEWER 2* - so make sure you steer clear of those!

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Multi element macro filters can be very good, the Canon 250 and 500 series are considered to be among the best. Not cheap either.

7. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    They can, but they're quite a different beast to a Tele extender (which will focus to infinity)