Tele conversion in RAW

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rash_powder, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I discovered today while trying to take a pic of a rabbit that the digital zoom and Tele conversion features of my GH2 do not work when the camera is set to save files in jpeg and RAW. If I switch to only jpeg then they are available to use.

Why aren't these features available in RAW mode? I am using the 14-42mm kit lens.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    These are crops that are done during the raw conversion in the camera. You can do them yourself when you you do your raw conversion on your computer.

3. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi Matt,

Fred gave you good advice and I'd like to add to it. The Ext. Tele Conv. command is most powerful when the camera is used in the video or movie taking mode and you will find the command active when you turn the mode dial to CREATIVE MOVIE. Once there, drop down to the MOTION PICTURE and go to the third page and select Ext. Tele Conv. and turn it ON.

This command will work if you've set your still files to save as RAW or RAW and JPG. More importantly this mode does not sacrifice spatial resolution. Basically, when in video mode your full sensor is used to make a movie of 1980 x 1020; however, the overall sensor is much bigger than this, 4608 x 4356 pixels. When in video and activating the Ext. Tele Conv. forces the camera to drop down to the central 1980 x 1020 pixel array. So you get an enlarged image but you do not lose pixel-pixel resolution by using this command in video. It as if you had an optical tele converter and increased the telephoto focal length. It is an invaluable command for those who are interested in nature photography and wish to have a video camera with an extreme telephoto lens. I found O.I.S. on with my 14-140 mm focal length lens does not stabilize the image sufficiently. I need a tripod when using this command with this lens at the longest zoom.

Hope this helps.