techniques forum

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by qball, Jul 3, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Might be nice to have a "techniques" or "instructions" forum... for people to share how they do certain things, achieve certain effects, use certain features, etc.

For example... how to do time lapse on your camera... how to use photo processing software to improve your images or correct faults, how to use filters to achieve certain benefits... HDR photograhpy, etc.

Some topics would be Photograph 101, others would be technique, others would be camera-specific, etc.

Just a suggestion.

2. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Q, thanks for your suggestion. Am I right that you're talking about a "How to" forum ?
    To do this or that. Great idea.
  3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah... How to... techniques.. etc.
  4. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    All for it - would be great to separate what is photography in general, what is strictly micro 4/3rds, and what is completely model-specific.
  5. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Great idea! Can we organize it by post processing and shooting techniques?

I'd love to see a tutorial on how to recreate a nice bleached bypass technique in Aperture 3 (without plugins or only using free plugins), for the post processing area and say examples of how certain aperture & shutter speed selection drastically effect the outcome of a shot (with examples) for the shooting techniques area.

Just a thought. Stuff like that is a big undertaking and very time consuming but I'm sure it would appreciated by everyone. Great idea qball.
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ya know....youse is readin' me mind....

Maybe you guys should post on a new thread about the subject you want to discuss.
    Then get it going. Post this stuff in the Image Works Forums.
    That's what the Image Works Forums are there for. So....actually, youse already have a place special for this stuff.

Open the threads like this...
    Techniques, How To Convert to B&W? etc... I'll support your efforts and get things moving...
  7. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah... I think something like

How To Forum

Shooting techniques
    - General photographic technique (Composition, Filters, BW, Color, etc.)
    - Video techniques
    - Micro 4/3-specific techniques
    - Model specific techniques (Panny, Oly, etc.)

-Light Room
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank you for the suggestions. One of the most common PM suggestions we receive is to decrease the number of forums, so we try not to add forums unless there is a topic which truly can't fit any of the existing forums.
  9. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    I was just feeding off the last suggestion. They could be subforums, or just break into photo skills and post processing.

I run a Vbulletin forum too, so I understand the need for simplicity.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks, Q. Where is your forum?
  11. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    How about down 'n dirty black and white conversion? Not just HOW to, but WHEN to; B&W has a reason, a reason other than nostalgia. It is more than just a photoshop effect. It is important to know how to "see" the shot in B&W before you take it, and then how to make it look like what you envisioned.

I have several books about it, but what I think most photographers really want is the how-to. Right now all I do is convert, then move all the sliders around until I like the way it looks. What I'd like to see is an "if-then": "Move this slider for darker skies." Stuff like that.
  12. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
  13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The choice of Color or B&W should be an aesthetic decision. If you look at the image and the color does not support it, then convert. If you look at a B&W and it needs the support of color, then keep it color.
    Ideally, you would work in one or the other most times. I do B&W almost always but sometimes color adds to the message, so I leave it color.

After you decide which way to go, then you have to work your conversion to get the image to be what you see in your mind.

It's a complicated process, kinda like this....

Step 1 You see something that you want to make an image of....
    Step 2 Now you have an idea in your head....
    Step 3 The camera records the image....
    Step 4 You process the image....
    So step 4 becomes the issue because it can be any version of Steps...1,2,or 3.
    It can even become something else in the processor.

You need to be open to the possibilities but always aware of the steps that got you where you are at in the moment....

To convert or not to convert, that is the question.....
    I just posted my way to an answer.....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone,

we've been discussing this in the back room, and would like to try something which would allow us all to work together, to index the really useful stuff as it accumulates.

Please help us to build the index, described here :

The Treasure Trove.

Any feedback you can offer there would be greatly appreciated.

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium