1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

techniques for kids-in-play

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by vinay, Apr 22, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Although my old phase detect DSLR had no trouble tracking kids-in-play at close range and with poor indoor light, my E-P3 is pretty bad.. very hard to actually achieve focus lock..

So I tried zone focussing.. I had the 14mm on, pointed it at a toy about 2.5 ft away and half clicked the shutter button, switched from S-AF to MF (I setup the record button as a short cut for this)... then clicked away making sure the kids were approx 2.5 ft away from the camera... considering I was shooting at f2.5 the whole time, I'd say that at web resolution, at least 90% were sharp enough...

But the one thing that I realized was that waiting for focus lock meant I got a lot less photos which had better focus... but zone focussing meant I got a lot more pictures and didn't lose any moments, at the cost that some of the pictures weren't tack sharp... I think that's a reasonable tradeoff - I'd rather have a picture of a precious moment that may be slightly soft than lose the moment because the camera was confused..

What other techniques are useful for kids-in-play?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You may want to try using back-button autofocus as explained by Ned in this post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.