Tech Radar EM5 Review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The tests done for this review (jpegs and TIFFs from raw) are really impressive. Tested against the X-Pro 1, Nex 7, EP3, and GX1, the EM5 finishes a not-too-distant second to the X-Pro 1 for low light sensitivity and BEATS them all on various DR measures. REALLY impressive performance. If this is borne out in real world use, this is a hell of a feat for m43 in general and Olympus specifically, no matter whose sensor they used! I'm impressed!

Olympus OM-D review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Digital slrs/hybrids

• Like Like x 6
  2. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    Looks very promising. The shot of the tulips & the b&w dramatic tone shot of the Wales millennium centre are pretty awesome for sooc shots & it looks as if I could be tempted to shoot jpeg with the E-M5. If it ever arrives on my doorstep !
  3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    So torn... I got an E-P3 to save some money, but gosh I certainly would like to try out an E-M5. Impressive performance indeed, at least in their lab tests.
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Now that's not a phrase you hear very often :smile:
    • Like Like x 3
  5. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I look forward to the trickle down effect to other cameras, with that sensor.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm kinda struggling to believe that the overall SNR is better than the NEX-7. Are they not normalizing against pixel count?
  7. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    2nd this. It seems almost impossible.

I'm sure it's really good (got one on pre-order), but this seems kinda nuts to me....
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 on the SNR.

I think the E-M5 is going to be great, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that it would do better on noise than a larger sensor.

Still, think all the real world shots are looking great. I am trying to stick to my plan and wait for the PEN refresh!
  9. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Or an E-M6...
  10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Or an E-M7
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Any idea what software package they used to get TIFFs from the raw files?

12. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    I'm a touch skeptical of the SNR score with the sensor sizes compared... but who knows... Bigger car engines don't mean better performance.

Can't wait to try it myself. Come on B&H, open those doors and ship them boxes. ;-)
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's not the sensor size I'm concerned about, so much. This is Sony's flagship sensor, versus Oly's tweaking of Panasonic's hand-me-down. Sony Imaging is just better at this stuff, so I'm curious where a NEX-5N would fall on that graph and how pixel count affects things.
  14. Vertex Ninja

Vertex Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2012
    I too am a bit skeptical. I think it's going to be/is a great camera, but the results seem fishy. The X-Pro1 results I've seen are really really really good in noise performance, but it gets bested here by the E-M5. Hard to believe especially when the images don't seem to tell the same story. Don't get me wrong, the E-M5 is the reason I decided to get my wife an E-PM1 and start investing in lenses for the system. An E-M5 is in my future, but I don't think it's a magic camera.

BTW, did anyone notice the couple pics with the Sigma 30mm? That first shot has pretty impressive detail for a $200 dollar lens wide open!
  15. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Most unimpressed, not with IQ, but with build quality...........

The buttons themselves are one of the only disappointing features of the OM-D, feeling a little cheap for a camera of this price. We'd really like to see more solid, metal buttons being used on the body, with some of the smaller buttons feeling a little too delicate.

We also found that the buttons could sometimes be a little less than responsive, occasionally requiring a double press to get the desired result. Similarly, when using the scroll dials to make adjustments via the Quick Menu, these could be a little laggy.

I expected more from a body costing £1000

All seems like 'ha'porth of tar' to me, I thought we were in for a real quality item, appears not.

IQ seems good though, but good enough for me to ditch my GH2 in favour of a EM5....?

I'm dreading the call that tells me my camera is in, it's then decision time.
  16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Perhaps you would be better off keeping your GH2, sounds like the M5 is not meant for you.
  17. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I thought the hang-up in the review about the buttons being plastic was very nitpicky. I've been using this thing all day and hadn't even thought about what the buttons were made of. Maybe I'm just used to the Canon 5D MkII's buttons, which are also plastic. Hadn't noticed that until just now either.
  18. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I'm holding this right now. For a small camera, it is built like a brick. Dense, unyielding. There's not even a creak in the battery grips, which is amazing considering these are separate pieces held together by only one screw each. This button thing is a reach for something to complain about. But if this is the thing that makes you ditch your order, I'm sure someone else will be more than happy to claim it when it shows up.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I will say that I wish the on/off switch was a bit more robust. I like an important sounding "CLACK" when I turn on a camera- this switch will not provide that.

The first function button and the play button are a bit too close together also. No big deal, just have to pay attention to what you're mashing on.

Those are my ergonomic gripes. Minor, at best.

Conversely- the add-on battery grip is a wonder. This thing is massively underrated- it should be mandatory. So very nice- best battery grip I've seen or used on any camera.
  20. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised about the NEX-7 vs E-M5 sensor performance. The NEX-7 is not sony's best low-light mirrorless cam, the NEX-5N is. The NEX-5N always seemed about a stop and a half better than my G3, the NEX-7 about a stop or slightly less. If the OM-D can possibly amass a stop better performance than the G3(which would be strange if they do actually use similar sensors, but still), then it's of no consequence. Besides, the next gen M4/3 sensors will almost definitely outperform the NEX-7 in noise performance anyway(same as the next-gen sony sensors wil outperform). A larger sensor, all else being equal, will be better, but different technologies don't always progress in parallel.