Teacher's Union Strike - Picket Line

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
Today the Reynoldsburg Education Association teacher's union at direction of the teachers have decided to strike.

This location is about a 1/4 of a mile from my house. At times I can hear the horns from cars in support as well as the chants from the picketers.

My back decided to seize up on me this morning, so I apologize for the small number of images, but I could only spend an hour there before I had to call it quits.

The union and board of education have been back and forth with contracts and neither side could agree on terms even after a federal arbitrator was assigned.
While these images only tell part of the story, news outlets have been reporting that there have been numerous fights within the school - student on student and some altercations with some temporary teachers and students brought in by the BOE.

Seems it got bad enough that the police needed to intervene and pepper spray was deployed.

This is day 1 of the strike.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Reynoldsburg School Strike 7 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

Reynoldsburg School Strike 3 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

Reynoldsburg School Strike 4 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

Reynolds School Strike 1 - In Espanol by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

Reynoldsburg School Strike 8 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

Reynoldsburg School Strike 6 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
Additional information also included that police were manhandling students, substitutes were sleeping instead of teaching or directed classes to play a hand or occupy themselves as they were unable to teach the classes they were assigned.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Additional information also included that police were manhandling students, substitutes were sleeping instead of teaching our directed classes to play a hand or occupy themselves as they were unable to tech the classes they were assigned.
The pictures were fine without the commentary which I belive violates the no political requirement of mu-43.

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
Same here Don....teachers, paramedics, nurses, construction.....its all going off here in Australia right now as well. The topic of unionism has the ability to really bring out peoples political passions, that passionate debate can too easily gets out of hand....as a result the entire topic is best avoided here on the forum.

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
The pictures were fine without the commentary which I belive violates the no political requirement of mu-43.
I must be thick, because I'm missing the political opinions I've stated.

I'm just reporting/repeating what has already been reported by other outlets or with interviews I've done with those involved.

I've given no personal opinion, or made a political stance. I'm just reporting a news item which I happened to take using an m43 camera setup.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
Documenting a political event isn't necessary political itself, IMO. To me it's one of the most captivating subjects of street photography and I would be sad if it were banned. I can see how the subject matter gets people very riled up, but I think we can all be mature and judge the pictures on their own merits (very neat work, btw).

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott

I'm just reporting/repeating what has already been reported by other outlets or with interviews I've done with those involved.

I've given no personal opinion, or made a political stance. I'm just reporting a news item which I happened to take using an m43 camera setup.
The first post was fine with the photos but the second appeared to be stepping into one-sided hearsay and rumors. As such I felt it detracted from the previous post.

Rick Waldroup

Mu-43 Veteran

I agree with you 100%. One of the greatest things about a camera is that it is a witness to history, a chronicler of events, a tool for us to use to preserve what has happened. I saw absolutely nothing in your posts that were political. You know the old saying, kill the messenger....

Excellent work.

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
Nothing wrong with the first post....a bit of basic background regarding the when, where and what and some nice pictures, nothing wrong with that at all.

The posts that came afterwards however begin to pry open the doors to political discussion. There is nothing inherently WRONG with discussion of politics, there is however a blanket ban on it here on the forum because past experience has taught us that unfortunately, it all too often gets way too heated and gets out of hand, and ultimately, ends up looking ugly and costing the moderators copious amounts of time putting out fires.

For what its worth, as a former construction worker I'm a staunch believer in workers rights to be part of a union and a big believer in the idea that sensible political discussion is a good and healthy thing....this forum however is not the place for it.

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
The first post was fine with the photos but the second appeared to be stepping into one-sided hearsay and rumors. As such I felt it detracted from the previous post.
I could post the links to the videos on Twitter/Facebook from the students inside the schools and ABC/FOX/CBS news articles that had the information on them to back it up....however, I thought THAT would be going way too far and making it look like I'm trying to make a political statement.
I did not want to do that.

I can only report on what I am provided by the media and in interviews that I've conducted myself. Certain involved parties choose to only communicate through prepared released statements, while others are a little more free to talk with whomever will listen.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I could post the links to the videos on Twitter/Facebook from the students inside the schools and ABC/FOX/CBS news articles that had the information on them to back it up....however, I thought THAT would be going way too far and making it look like I'm trying to make a political statement.
I did not want to do that.

I can only report on what I am provided by the media and in interviews that I've conducted myself. Certain involved parties choose to only communicate through prepared released statements, while others are a little more free to talk with whomever will listen.
I can appreciate what you were doing, but leaving the second post out entirely would have avoided the step toward the political that I believe tainted the very excellent first post. Let the photos speak. ;) Photos confirming the second post would have been more than welcome I believe regardless of political view. :D

gryphon1911

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew
I can appreciate what you were doing, but leaving the second post out entirely would have avoided the step toward the political that I believe tainted the very excellent first post. Let the photos speak. ;) Photos confirming the second post would have been more than welcome I believe regardless of political view. :D
Point taken and lesson learned.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom