1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Teacher's Union Strike - Picket Line

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by gryphon1911, Sep 19, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Today the Reynoldsburg Education Association teacher's union at direction of the teachers have decided to strike.

This location is about a 1/4 of a mile from my house. At times I can hear the horns from cars in support as well as the chants from the picketers.

My back decided to seize up on me this morning, so I apologize for the small number of images, but I could only spend an hour there before I had to call it quits.

The union and board of education have been back and forth with contracts and neither side could agree on terms even after a federal arbitrator was assigned.
    While these images only tell part of the story, news outlets have been reporting that there have been numerous fights within the school - student on student and some altercations with some temporary teachers and students brought in by the BOE.

Seems it got bad enough that the police needed to intervene and pepper spray was deployed.

This is day 1 of the strike.

15290672735_9b565913c2_b. Reynoldsburg School Strike 7 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

15287529791_6ca3c5e3a7_b. Reynoldsburg School Strike 3 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

15267638736_f2353fcfc3_b. Reynoldsburg School Strike 4 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

15290289932_de6d17b43e_b. Reynolds School Strike 1 - In Espanol by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

15290670615_d34acafd06_b. Reynoldsburg School Strike 8 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

15103954400_dab8286634_b. Reynoldsburg School Strike 6 by gryphon1911 [A.Live], on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  2. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Additional information also included that police were manhandling students, substitutes were sleeping instead of teaching or directed classes to play a hand or occupy themselves as they were unable to teach the classes they were assigned.

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Fighting for what the students deserve? Or for what the teachers think they deserve?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The pictures were fine without the commentary which I belive violates the no political requirement of mu-43.

5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lets not get into the politics guys. We all know how quickly that can get out of hand.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    You're right, Joe. Teachers unions are quite an incendiary topic, here in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Sadly, so is science...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Same here Don....teachers, paramedics, nurses, construction.....its all going off here in Australia right now as well. The topic of unionism has the ability to really bring out peoples political passions, that passionate debate can too easily gets out of hand....as a result the entire topic is best avoided here on the forum.

• Like Like x 4
  9. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I must be thick, because I'm missing the political opinions I've stated.

I'm just reporting/repeating what has already been reported by other outlets or with interviews I've done with those involved.

I've given no personal opinion, or made a political stance. I'm just reporting a news item which I happened to take using an m43 camera setup.

10. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Documenting a political event isn't necessary political itself, IMO. To me it's one of the most captivating subjects of street photography and I would be sad if it were banned. I can see how the subject matter gets people very riled up, but I think we can all be mature and judge the pictures on their own merits (very neat work, btw).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The first post was fine with the photos but the second appeared to be stepping into one-sided hearsay and rumors. As such I felt it detracted from the previous post.

12. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I agree with you 100%. One of the greatest things about a camera is that it is a witness to history, a chronicler of events, a tool for us to use to preserve what has happened. I saw absolutely nothing in your posts that were political. You know the old saying, kill the messenger....

Excellent work.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nothing wrong with the first post....a bit of basic background regarding the when, where and what and some nice pictures, nothing wrong with that at all.

The posts that came afterwards however begin to pry open the doors to political discussion. There is nothing inherently WRONG with discussion of politics, there is however a blanket ban on it here on the forum because past experience has taught us that unfortunately, it all too often gets way too heated and gets out of hand, and ultimately, ends up looking ugly and costing the moderators copious amounts of time putting out fires.

For what its worth, as a former construction worker I'm a staunch believer in workers rights to be part of a union and a big believer in the idea that sensible political discussion is a good and healthy thing....this forum however is not the place for it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I could post the links to the videos on Twitter/Facebook from the students inside the schools and ABC/FOX/CBS news articles that had the information on them to back it up....however, I thought THAT would be going way too far and making it look like I'm trying to make a political statement.
    I did not want to do that.

I can only report on what I am provided by the media and in interviews that I've conducted myself. Certain involved parties choose to only communicate through prepared released statements, while others are a little more free to talk with whomever will listen.

15. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I can appreciate what you were doing, but leaving the second post out entirely would have avoided the step toward the political that I believe tainted the very excellent first post. Let the photos speak. ;) Photos confirming the second post would have been more than welcome I believe regardless of political view. :D

16. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Point taken and lesson learned.