TCON-14 (D-1.45x) review

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Fortunately, I only wasted $15 on it, so it's not the end of the world.

That's how I'm looking at it. I think I'm at about $12 including shipping. I had a couple hours of fun with it, so I can think of worse ways to spend $12.

However, as with my last shot above, it can work as a bit of a dreamy portrait lens similar to a very old 135mm equivalent prime (It's 130mm equivalent f1.8 when used on the 45mm) . And it was decently sharp on the 60mm macro. I may try a few shots at the next dance recital so see how it works as a 90mm f2.8 for indoor action shots.

I'll still find some ways to use it and it's not even worth reselling anyway.

Last edited:

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
My experience is that the Olympus A-200, which is a 1.5x front converter that was originally developed for the IS/L A camera, is better, especially at the edges, particularly when used on the Panasonic 45-175mm lens. I posted a thread on this converter last year - I'll try to dig it up.

Here's the link - it's reply #24 on this page:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/35510/page-2

Last edited:

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I have this and, for the price, it's hard to beat. I think I paid $12 for mine and use it on the Oly 45 f1.8 all the time. I use it primarily for portraits as I don't much care if they're super-sharp around the edges and the impact to the center, as demonstrated above, isn't really terrible. While it's not in the same class as the Oly 75 or Sigma 60 it's a way to get in that focal length range for stupid cheap if you already have the 45. It's also great for seriously low-light situations where you need a little reach like kids' music recitals and such.

UPDATE: Whoops. I actually have the A-200. My bad. Same notes apply. YMMV. etc.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Not sure why this popped up again from a few years ago.

For anyone looking, the Olympus A-200 is massively superior and only a tiny bit bigger. Similar price range if you are patient.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I too purchased one of the Olympus 1.45x TC's to use with my 45-175 PZ (making it a 250mm f/5.6 at max tele), but was appalled at how bad the CA was in high contrast areas (like what the OP showed when looking at the sheet of music).
The 45-175 is the lens I use to test out teleconverters. There are less than a handful of converters that produce little of no CA or vignetting with that lens.
When I have time I shall take some pics of those converters, and test images from the same spot to show the results.

Paul C

Mu-43 Veteran
Teleconverter/ teleadapter - Great work tkbslc in Salt Lake City!

I missed this post first time around - but still think your conclusions are spot on. The Olympus teleconverter turns a 42.5/45mm fast lens into an equivalent 135mm fast medium telephoto perspective portrait lens.....where the soft edges are an asset not a hindrence.

For many of us - shooting portraits at this "135mm equivalent" perspective over the traditional 85-90mm "short telephoto" view has several advantages
  • better background blur
  • less risk of us casting shadows on our subjects
  • a less stressful position for most amaterur models to be in - with the camera looking far less threatening when held several metres back
With the cost of the current wonderful Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75mm 1:1.8 weighing in at hundreds and hundreds of £/$ I think you are onto something here......!

Thanks and best wishes - Paul in the UK

Last edited:
You guys answered a question I had! I was wondering if it was possible to use other lenses with the teleconverters. I know the MC-20 officially supports only the 40-150mm Pro and the 300mm prime, but I wondered if it would work with others. I know since it has a two-stop difference that my 40-150mm f4/5.6 is probably not a good candidate, but the 45mm f/1.8 would be a good candidate. Thanks!

barry

Super Moderator
You guys answered a question I had! I was wondering if it was possible to use other lenses with the teleconverters. I know the MC-20 officially supports only the 40-150mm Pro and the 300mm prime, but I wondered if it would work with others. I know since it has a two-stop difference that my 40-150mm f4/5.6 is probably not a good candidate, but the 45mm f/1.8 would be a good candidate. Thanks!
Hi, unfortunately the protruding element in the MC's means they won't fit any other native lenses.
However, it is possible to use them with most adapted SLR lenses.

Latest threads

Top Bottom