1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Taroona shot tower (Tasmania, Australia)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ted, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hey guys, I wanted to share this as I'm super proud of myself. As I have said in other threads, I still consider myself an absolute beginner and am constantly learning. I've had a camera for awhile now but my ex used to do all my Photoshopping for me, so this one is very much a first. Feedback and constructive criticism is very much encouraged, I'm hard to offend and very eager to improve :thumbup:

15045334004_4d5228cb6c_b. Taroona shot tower. by Theo Batchelor, on Flickr

"Two exposures where I took the sky from one and added it to the other. Trees are a little dodgy as I have the attention span of a five year old and there was a slight breeze between exposures. Not perfect, but I learnt a lot and I'm happy."

• Like Like x 9
  2. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Nice. I am guessing you are shooting from a low point pointing upwards?

Andrew

3. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    As low as my tripod could get, which was still above the base of the tower as it's actually in a hole! I believe that was the tallest structure in Australia when it was built :smile:

4. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    It did make me wish I had a wider lens, though!

5. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    LOL I suspect the odd Melbourne tower has surpassed it now :)

Andrew

6. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Quite possibly! I think it's still the second tallest in Tasmania though, haha! :redface:

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Stitch and then correct.

4411980710_5198dc39c3_o.
    the end of Winter
    This image is 4 portrait images stitched into a landscape. Its taken with a 50mm lens yet equals more like a 28 on full frame but the resulting file is 9,000 x 3,800 pixels.

It the subject isn't moving wide lenses are no longer really needed :)

8. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Wow, that looks amazing! I love the colours in it too, really cool image. Did you stitch it in Photoshop? Like I said up the top, my ex girlfriend used to do all my Photoshopping for me so I'm very new at this. I will look up some tutorials :smile: