Showcase Tamron SP AF 180mm F3.5 LD (IF) Macro 1:1

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just realised I never got around to making a showcase for this guy.

Ed - this got front paged unexpectedly! This wasn't really edited with that in mind, it's just some of the nicer photos I took with the lens. There's a flickr album of more with it here:

Tamron 180mm f3.5 SP AF Di LD IF Macro

I'll try and a little editorial to some otherwise contextless pictures as I go!

These next shots are some of the flower portraits I took after growing these cosmos out - basically just as a test of how to do backgrounds. There's a whole album of them here:

flower portraits with tamron 180mm

pa050186thi8uz0.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pa050821thehuhw.jpg

pa100478thd9uq5.jpg

pa100315thy8upx.jpg

pa100388-2thwcujb.jpg

These next few are from one of the first 3 or so session I took with the lens when I first got it. I had it rigged to a flash bracket with two flashes (FL600r and i40) mounted on arms either side of it. This is an incredibly heavy setup (close to 3 kilos really once you tally everything) and I kind of despaired at ever being able to use it. I'm not a tripod shooter, I take the camera with me as I walk around and shoot as I go. So while these turned out OK, the pain of getting them wasn't really endearing me to the lens in any way.

pb130064thkfkz5.jpg

pb130167th0dku2.jpg

pb060696thhckzb.jpg

pb060762thm7j4e.jpg

pb170129thvnjg9.jpg

This is what happens when you try and shoot it as a conventional macro lens - you get very very directional light, the range and the inverse square law drops your flash power and this means you can't really diffuse the flash acceptably. 50-100cm, F5.6-F8, you are up against it trying to get good light.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
And the lens -

-ed

So this turned out to be the key to using it! Forget the flashes, work with it as a natural light lens, and add a thing to help hold it steady. It's not the lens you take with you very early in the morning and try and get flash shots of sleeping bugs, you go out later and take photos of animals when they're active, at a range that doesn't disturb them as much. The pistol grip is a P&C branded one but as far as I know these are all just a generic item and any of the $8 versions you see on ebay are the same thing. It handily has a loop for a peak design clip and a tripod socket on the base for a black rapid strap.

pa120039thnrzuj.jpg

pa120049thj9znc.jpg

The one thing that almost ended this len's career here. The circular screw at the left there slowly stripped the screw threads off, and was held like a latch rather than screwed in for some time. Very lucky to discover this as I took the lens off and put it down, so it flopped onto my bed, rather than as I swung it around upside down on the pistol grip minutes before. The tripod holder is a generic item Tamron make that suits their 70-200 superzoom also. Tamron Australia were pretty good about replacing it cheaply.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
These next couple are from two sets that got frontpaged, at which point I was pretty taken with the lens.

pb070540-staxz3bd4.jpg

^ as well as using it handheld with a pistol grip, the other key to using the lens is getting onto natural light focus stacking. With photoshop, this is actually quite easy. Photoshop in particular has much, much more tolerant aligning of layers than anything else, and can easily skew them as a set of intersecting focal planes with different geometry. For this shot, the flower (lemon bergamot) was swept from side to side by the wind so much that even at this range it was travelling in and out of frame.

It's stitched together out of (IIRC) 6 different exposures, with really the minimum level of plausibility as far as the focal plane goes - if you look close you notice that I really only have enough in focus in some shots to make one part of the focal plane mesh properly, and the rest pops in and out. I was lucky to be left with enough material here to make it so your eye could follow this around in a circle from the butterfly to the spider without it looking like there was a massive gap.

pb070128uduio.jpg

This above is what you can expect from F5.6 at even reasonable macro-like ranges..... not much eh?! This shot also plays to the out of focus transitions quite well, where even bright sunlit white flowers can be tamed and not look distracting as a background, and we have a nice predictable texture coming past the front plane. There are other transitions it likes less than this of course, but if you play to its strengths it usually turns out well. I think this was the first shot I took with it that really seriously impressed me in terms of its sharpness at the focal plane and transition out of it.

pa260474fouqi.jpg

pa2802009ru0k.jpg

Some lesser shots here. Some others I took with the Tamron 180 for that set ran into a little shutter shock at around 1/160 - 1/200 on the E-P5, I've since learned to ditch iso200 and go up from there if I can avoid it.

The whole 2016 butterfly album is here -

2016 butterfly album

The mu-43 thread for the edited set of these pictures (some of the ones I got with the Bokina 90 of extreme closeups were pretty damn good even if I do say so myself) is here -

butterfly potion

The next ones are from a set I don't think I could've gotten with anything else - very macro kind of distances of a very nervous bee in very challenging conditions (high wind, high shutter speed subject, extreme dynamic range in the scene).

xpa80520-psn2zls39.jpg

xpa80264n2rpsyk.jpg

xpa80103n2vfs4g.jpg

xpa90040n2issvc.jpg

pb050078lmjiw.jpg

Mu-43 thread here -

secret bee rituals

flickr album here -

secret bee rituals

This was the first set where I worked out you can actually crank the iso up to quite high levels (1000+) and still get some nice detailed shots. I was swearing a lot at it at the time and seriously considered switching out of m43 until I worked out ways to properly layer and process photos in photoshop to get around the noise issues. If I did it again I definitely wouldn't pick this set to learn to do it though, it's essentially the wedding shoot from hell. Imagine if you were out in bright australian sun trying to get the groom breakdancing under the bride's dress and you had to make red and orange look natural in every shot. Not at all a fun time in front of the computer.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some from using it as a birding lens over the last 6 months or so...

36258605623_12f036e163_h.jpg
Rainbow Lorikeet feeding on grevillea by <PIG>, on Flickr

36675643840_3a40467b1e_h.jpg

36883985666_b142f0eaba_h.jpg

37072399455_6675545764_h.jpg

ed - more of this set here:

rainbow lorikeets

Although that blue faced honeyeater shot is pretty great, that was a comparatively static subject - this was the set I did that convinced me you can actually use this as a birding lens. Rainbow lorikeets are very active birds and don't move in much of a predictable way, they're challenging even with flawless autofocus. But if you keep plugging away and keep the shutter speed high, with good light, you'll get stuff sharp enough to moire on the features wide open.

Also of interest: this is a macro lens deliberately designed to produce a flat field (0.116% according to photozone) with 14 elements and 11 groups. Something to bear in mind when you are told you need low element count to produce 3d looking images :p

35839406064_fb0c676a63_h.jpg
wagtail attack by <PIG>, on Flickr

36504948742_72493fa7d6_h.jpg
wagtail attack by <PIG>, on Flickr

wagtail attack

34666602596_cbeaab455f_h.jpg
wet blue faced honeyeater by <PIG>, on Flickr

33897349693_c92dec925d_h.jpg
wet blue faced honeyeater by <PIG>, on Flickr

ed - more of this set here :

blue-faced honeyeater

34543706762_f9f1e30a25_h.jpg
female fairy wren by <PIG>, on Flickr

33761269823_41afce14ab_h.jpg
white egret by <PIG>, on Flickr

more of this set here:

bowies flat wetland

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some higher iso (800 to 1600+2ev in post) focus stacks of natural light macrophotography, shot wide open.

34129446515_546c4251be_h.jpg
crab spider crabwalking by <PIG>, on Flickr

34415888275_a158cbee6f_h.jpg
tiny frog by <PIG>, on Flickr

amphibians

34965942562_50463443d0_h.jpg
natural light focus stack of large male orchard butterfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

34320545373_d56c6528aa_h.jpg
natural light focus stack of large male orchard butterfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

33330370032_6c842a3aab_h.jpg
poop spider nest by <PIG>, on Flickr

33102777080_90fd3d844d_h.jpg
poop spider nest by <PIG>, on Flickr

33362623403_b513a8e07a_h.jpg
golden dragonfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

34016408822_272e3f0101_h.jpg
golden dragonfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

34088993656_9d701d153d_h.jpg
jumping spider caterpillar snack by <PIG>, on Flickr

33998981351_7f874bb4d7_h.jpg
jumping spider caterpillar snack by <PIG>, on Flickr

So the other key to using this for natural light macro, other than photoshop, is neat image -

Neat Image

it's a cool piece of software that can create a unique noise profile per image that can account for things like sensor heat, boosted colour channels in post, in-camera sensor artifacts, low profile noise from in-camera sharpening or NR, etc. And it allows you to selectively sharpen and noise reduce different frequencies of signal, rather than just having an overall slider, so you can say, selectively leave a % of high frequency noise in, under-sharpen large transitions to avoid haloing around a subject's body, etc. And working with layers lets you profile different areas of the image differently quite easily. The handiest tool for using it is photoshop's "select focus" tool, apparently adobe have a new version of this coming that selects subjects via machine learning rather than just some kind of density/contrast detection.

So anyway - being able to recover tiny details that are otherwise a fairly indistinct bit of blob at iso1600+, and make them sharp without making them noisy or overly crunchy, is pretty handy. If you had asked me if I could get a good pretty close shot of a moving jumping spider under a leaf on an overcast day at f3.5, with no flash at all, I would've said no, up til fairly recently :p

Last edited:

Snowonuluru

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some higher iso (800 to 1600+2ev in post) focus stacks of natural light macrophotography, shot wide open.

View attachment 571488 crab spider crabwalking by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571489 tiny frog by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571495 natural light focus stack of large male orchard butterfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571496 natural light focus stack of large male orchard butterfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571490 poop spider nest by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571491 poop spider nest by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571497 golden dragonfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571492 golden dragonfly by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571493 jumping spider caterpillar snack by <PIG>, on Flickr

View attachment 571494 jumping spider caterpillar snack by <PIG>, on Flickr

Unbelievable! Fantastic ! They stayed still for long enough to allow you to do focus stack? How many shots did you use for each of these magnificent photos please?

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Unbelievable! Fantastic ! They stayed still for long enough to allow you to do focus stack? How many shots did you use for each of these magnificent photos please?

Well, one advantage of natural light is that you aren't limited by your flash cycle time - so you can pretty much go as fast as your shutter (I think 1/160 at the slowest here but 1/200-320 is a lot safer) allows. You can also - subject permitting - get shots where only one part of the subject moves. If you've got that one section leg or antenna complete in any selection of frames, in a way you can isolate it from everything else with a layer or magic wand etc, you just keep that one and composite it in. Photoshop/zerene do a good job isolating local movements IF you give it just that set to work with, so any one piece of a subject that doesn't move in ways that totally screw you (rotating or rolling where you have no data for certain sections of it) can usually be saved.

The closeups of the orchard butterfly in this set were done like that with the closer shot involving 5 different composites of different pieces into one shot. The total for that one was I think something like 10 or 15 shots at f3.5, which doesn't add up to much DOF for all the work involved aligning and stacking. But still better than trying to salvage macro from what would have been deep into extended ISO trying to get it in one. Most of the others were about 3-5 shots. There's a video guide to how to do this here -

the only real difficulty I've run into with it is that zerene doesn't really handle alpha-blank bits of a subject, so if you've got bits of the subject at the shot edges and auto-aligning them gives you certain shots with blank space, you need to fix that somehow before it gets sent over.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
36978785190_d06c102009_h.jpg
little friarbird observes spider by PIG, on Flickr

friarbirds

37646934536_06b6ba1d46_h.jpg
currawong stripping casuarina by PIG, on Flickr

37728255892_b1606036d2_h.jpg
spangled drongo portrait by PIG, on Flickr

ed - more of this set here -

spangled drongo

37282120386_8d92a6612d_h.jpg
grey fantail portrait by PIG, on Flickr

26297247649_2a95f8101a_h.jpg
Australian Brush-turkey by PIG, on Flickr

37644639842_c30488786b_h.jpg
olive backed oriole by PIG, on Flickr

olive-backed oriole

37364941370_1ff0296bd1_h.jpg
butcherbird face by PIG, on Flickr

36974812914_d411b7bc40_h.jpg
fairy wren on vine by PIG, on Flickr

36817060770_902be8f8f7_h.jpg
Brown honey eater by PIG, on Flickr

brown honey eater

36428774304_bbcbd53a6b_h.jpg
wood duck at dawn by PIG, on Flickr

Still ridiculously far behind (I got properly sick, like, medically negligent not to have been sent to hospital immediately sick, don't recommend it at all, go get tests done if you think you are pissing too much at night, it could be an actual Thing) on photos but some I remember

Last edited:

Snowonuluru

Mu-43 All-Pro
Still ridiculously far behind (I got properly sick, like, medically negligent not to have been sent to hospital immediately sick, don't recommend it at all, go get tests done if you think you are pissing too much at night, it could be an actual Thing) on photos but some I remember

Hope you are better mate! Looking forward to more posts!

Last edited by a moderator:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hope you are better mate! Looking forward to more posts!

Just about over it now - another couple weeks of antibiotics. But, holy crap, I was apparently about as infected as you can be without actually being in septic shock and the first dr I saw just sent me out with a script for antibiotics and didn't really follow up on the tests. The different medical practice I went to a couple weeks later freaked out when they saw the tests when they came back and called me at home and on my mobile to come in urgently - since I wasn't horribly sick by that point, I assumed this meant some truly evil shit had been found, but it was just that they'd misread the date on my results and thought the first lot were the followup tests they did.

Anyway so - pissing at night more than once every so often: this can be an infection with zero other symptoms or pain of any kind that can go from being an occasional annoyance to potentially lethal in the space of about 24-48 hours, and if that's something you do, go and see a doctor.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Haha talkin' about my piss on the front page.

Some other recent birds:

38555324391_55251ac5a0_h.jpg
one eyed blue faced honeyeater hunting leaf curling spiders by PIG, on Flickr

spider hunters

37832233894_02e6210881_h.jpg
australian brush turkey by PIG, on Flickr

bird of the year

26814957439_bdaadba0a5_h.jpg
scaly-breasted lorikeet by PIG, on Flickr

37704493605_ec08d50497_h.jpg
blue faced honeyeater on bottlebrush by PIG, on Flickr

38535919666_8ab94d4f55_h.jpg
pale headed rosella takeoff by PIG, on Flickr

37758998695_8984cfb3b6_h.jpg
zorro pale headed rosella by PIG, on Flickr

37745497805_42b7c3a0b7_h.jpg
pale headed rosella munching seeds on a rusty iron bar by PIG, on Flickr

pale headed rosellas

37715443365_4d63264e38_h.jpg
scaly breasted lorikeet on bottlebrush by PIG, on Flickr

37715425715_75ab7b2aa1_h.jpg

24724990718_2e417e9929_h.jpg

scaly breasted lorikeets

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some other recent bugs:

24858144828_d5c641bf29_h.jpg
blue triangle butterfly by PIG, on Flickr

24897099388_c449d02017_h.jpg
blue triangle butterfly on blue tongue by PIG, on Flickr

24889299788_85e2180b31_h.jpg
blue triangle butterfly backlit on vine by PIG, on Flickr

blue triangle butterfly

Some others from a recent photo trip that aren't really done yet but are sorta shareable. I have a fantastic set from some trips I made earlier to the mt coot-tha botanic gardens where I got loads of shots of mating dragonflies and damselflies (so many that literally half the shots I had focussed on one pair have another 1 or 2 pairs also mating, including some in flight) but the stacking of that stuff is going to take a while.

PC020427.jpg
PC021146-stax.jpg
PC021299-stax.jpg
PC021579-stax.jpg
PC021646.jpg
PC028830.jpg
PC029838.jpg

Last edited:

Kalifornier

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wow! Every pic is incredible but the triangle butterfly (1st one in that part of the thread) deserves to be printed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom