Tamron or Nikon zoom lens on E-PL1 ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by teohhc, Jul 17, 2012.

1. teohhc

teohhc New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    I just purchased a used E-PL1 with the 14-40mm kit lens. So far the kit lens satisfies most of my needs but I have been planning to add a used zoom lens for nature and sports photography with limited budget.

A used Tamron 70-300 LD DI macro (Nikon mount) or the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S looks promising for my needs. I don't mind manual focus as it is fun going back to the days when autofocus is not available then, and pre-focusing is the order of the day for sports photography. There are a couple of China-made adapters for Nikon lens to Micro 4/3 with aperture control going for US$50 in eBay.

My questions are
    1. whether the adapters work for both the above Tamron and Nikon lenses ?
    2. does the aperture control work ?
    3. which Nikon mount type (example Nikon G, AFS or F mount) is the Tamron ?
    4. has anyone out there tried this configuration ?

if this works then the fun begins as there are so many lens out there to experiment :smile:

Thanks for your help.
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    First, the handling is going to be awkward. Both of those lenses are fairly large, and the E-PL1 is quite small. This is particularly true if you don't have the EVF, and so have to hold the camera at arms length.

Neither the Tamron nor the Nikon have aperture rings, so they are both G type F mount lenses (G = no aperture, F mount = Nikon mount). There are adapters that let you control the adapter (search specifically for Nikon G micro 4/3 adapters), but the control isn't very fine-grained.

Optically, the Tamron isn't really that great.

My suggestion, if you are convinced you need this focal length, would be to look for a Olympus 4/3 70-300 ($300 after rebate until July 21), and a third party 4/3 m4/3 adapter ($60 or so). Or a secondhand Panasonic 100-300 which is not too much more pricewise, and is a full native lens. The Olympus 70-300 will be optically as good or better than the two lenses you mentioned, and you get AF (albeit a bit slow) and can control the aperture directly from the camera. But if you're going to shoot long lenses without a tripod, you'll also want an EVF...

If you can get by with less reach, the Panasonic 45-200 is a lot smaller and less expensive as well.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I don't have any experience with Nikon lenses, but that 55-300 VR Nikon seems like a lot of needless (and useless, and expensive) complexity unless you also have a Nikon body or are planning to acquire one. The vibration reduction and autofocus will not work on :43:, so you'll end up paying for a bunch of features you'll never use. Same thing with the AF of the Tamron. If you're looking for lenses to use exclusively on :43: you're better off (IMHO) looking at the older manual focus lenses.

I would suggest perhaps the Nikon 100-300mm f/5.6 or maybe the Tokina AT-X 100-300 f/4 which is available in a variety of mounts, including Nikon F. If you want a longer zoom range, there's also the Nikon 50-300mm f/4.5, but that one is going to cost significantly more than the others I mentioned (and may approach the cost of the 55-300 VR).
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I have the now discontinued Lensbaby adapter that lets you mount Nikon lenses on a m4/3 camera. This adapter is nice because it doubles as a cheap tilt-shift converter for creative DOF effects.

Anyway, if you can get that adapter on ebay it's nice because it lets you adjust the aperture on Nikon mount lenses even if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring.