Tamron joined the m43 and new lenses from Sigma

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by elavon, Jan 29, 2013.

1. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    • Like Like x 4
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great news in general! Just wish there were really some new focal lengths.

Tamron released the exact type of lens I figured they would, a full range travel type zoom. The specs for the Tamron are almost identical to the Olympus 14-150mm so it doesn't offer something really new. The Panasonic 14-140mm is also similar except that it weighs almost twice as much as the Olympus. The Tamron does have IS built into the lens which is great for Panasonic users. Let us hope that the cost of this lens is competitive. I also hope this lens is weather sealed which would be a big advantage over the other two and of great use to E-M5 users.

The new Sigma lenses are totally redesigned and very slick looking. Too slick perhaps! Where are the focus rings? Actually, I like the styling and greatly apprechiate that all three are the same diameter and have hoods. The literature states they have metal bodies which is a change from the current 19mm and 30mm. I wonder if they are weather sealed.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The Sigma are not weather sealed it according to the specs.
    This also explains the bundled 200$ price for current model.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Waiting on price and availability!

5. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I need a travel zoom before I leave for Cameroon at the end of February and I'm just about to buy the Panasonic 14-140. Ahhh, hurry up Tamron. That Pany is just too heavy.

6. speedandstyle

Not the current ones! These new lenses are a total redesign and since the lens barrels are all new metal it is possible that they are weather sealed.

7. speedandstyle

If you shoot Olympus or don't need the IS get the Olympus 14-150mm. It is a great lens and is lighter. I highly doubt that the Tamron lens will be available in one month. March or April maybe. It is listed on B&H but with no other info than a title. They will probably start taking pre-orders in the next couple of weeks with at least another couple of weeks before shipping. Probably longer.

8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    It's a first step, but would really like to see a m43 version of their VC 90mm macro, or maybe the 200-500 mm or something else to fill a few holes in the native line-up.