Tamron Announces 14-150mm f/3.5-5.8 Image Stabilized Lens for Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Tamron today announced the development of a 14-150mm lens for the Micro 4/3 system. The prototype is shown above.

I'm excited to see Tamron developing lenses for Micro 4/3 because they have a proven track record of developing relatively low cost and high performance megazooms, fast zooms, and macro lenses for other systems. Their optical image stabilization (vibration compensation or VC) is also remarkably effective.

More information at TAMRON | News | Tamron announces the development of the company's first Micro Four Thirds high-power zoom lens, equivalent to 28-300mm in the 35mm/ full-frame format Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III VC (Model C001) with Tamron's proprietary VC (Vibra

via 43 Rumors

[Thanks elavon]
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Really looking forward to the reviews and tests. I have the Leica 14-150mm which is superb, if a little slow AF on the E-M5 ,so I have something for a direct comparison. Will they eventually make it for other formats?

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    No comparison pics, but from the look of it, it is smaller than the super zoom for the NEX. I already have the Oly 14-150 so I won't be looking to buy this Tamron. But it's exciting to see another third party making native AF lenses for m4/3.
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Interesting. If the price is right (and the performance is OK) I might be tempted to get one as a 'do everything' lens. I find the current options a little too expensive for what I get quality wise.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Tamron is well known and makes big bucks for their super zoom lenses. Dealers are probably happy as its often easier to make a larger profit packaging Tamron superzooms with body as a custom kit than it is with a direct kit. Usually targeting family amateur shooters...

Of course, I don't know how well Pan. and Oly. treat their dealers.. just a guess.

Judging from the pics, it looks like a lens specifically designed for the micro 4/3 system.... that's good news too from Tamron.
  6. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Interesting but can you really get good image quality from those 10x zooms?
  7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Depends on your definition of "good".
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    At the very least, we can expect it to be priced better than the Panasonic and Olympus superzooms. Should be a nice family-friendly lens for newcomers or for putting on a second body for a spouse/kid.
  9. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Interesting, but doesn't really offer anything for an Olympus camera owner unless the price is crazy low and it's sharper than the Olympus version. Panasonic camera owners would need this to beat the Lumix 14-140 but I've never tested it.

Bravo to Tamron for making this lens, I hope it sells well, but I'm not as impressed as I would like to be.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That sums up my reaction as well. Coming from Canon-land, Tamron is known for making a very capable 17-50/2.8 that is very high value, and a 28-75/2.8 that is also in that same category. I was hoping (am hoping) we see something along those lines for :43:. There is a standard fast zoom gap in this format, unless you want to shell out four figures for the Panny 12-35. No such gap in the 14-150 range.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Could be very interesting.

If you look at Tamron's Nikon mounts they are anywhere from 25% to as much as 40% less for similar features. So $400 new would be nice.
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    This looks great. Price will be interesting to see as well.
  13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    With that in mind, I'm hoping this lens sells well. Not that I would buy it personally, but it'd be great to throw in some cheaper wide angles, primes, etc.. in the mix for us. Competition is a great thing!
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    And I hope it turns up on the used market within 3-6 months after release. Then it will be cheaper still.:wink:
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    In my mind, this is the first genuine 3rd party lens for m4/3.

The Sigmas were simply mount conversions of lenses designed for NEX. The SLR Magic and Voigtlanders didn't actually communicate with the cameras at all - they're just passive lenses like any adapted lens - just without the adapter. This new 14-150 is both designed for the smaller sensor, and communices with the camera for AF, AE, IS and EXIF.
  16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Ok, Tamron. Now give us a 12-35 VC for $600...
  17. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I would think it would be since that lens is a 18-200mm lens? But it does make a good argument for m43 where you can get the same 35mm equiv focal length in a smaller package than the APS-C counterparts.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  19. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    This lens by it self is not significant, what is significant is the addition of a 4th native lens manufacturer to the :43: ecosystem.
    Now that Tamron have :43: team they will continue to develop more lenses. First we we will probably see more of the same long zooms, but once Tamron will be confident with :43:, they will venture the high quality lenses.
  20. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    I hope this is just the start for Tamron. I have their 60mm macro for my Nikon kit, and really like using that lens. Something similar for m43 would be great, since the price would probably be a good but lower than the existing macro choices. I'm not a superzoom fan, but more choices is always a good thing.