Showcase Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Please understand I am not criticising your photos but I am interested in your comment on sharpness as I have one of these lenses flagged as a possible purchase so very interested in the images they produce.

Maybe it is my eyes or computer screen but I wouldn't describe the first photo as being very sharp. What am I missing here? The second one is better to my eyes but I have seen photos from native lens which are much much sharper. I did look at them in Flickr as well but it didn't help :(

billmiky

New to Mu-43
No worries. I take photographs for fun... so i don't take any offense. I am coming from shooting with a Sony a580 where I took many sharp photos with this lens. These shots were in low lighting with a high iso. considering this lens would be 1000mm ff equivalent with m43 and the DOF on this lens is so ridiculously thin it is quite hard to find your moving birds let alone get something exactly sharp. these are also 100% crops so that has something to do with it also. even though you don't get as many keepers with this lens when you do they are much nicer images than with other lens (mostly inexpensive) I have owned. The most money I have ever spent on a lens is $350 so my point of view is rather limited. These are the only images I have taken with Panasonic gx7 so I will post more when I get them. Perhaps they will be sharper if the objects were not moving and in brighter light.

Here is a sharp image taken with Sony a580:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) -- Brooklyn Bridge Park by Will Pollard, on Flickr

ohaya

Mu-43 Veteran
The last one looks much sharper :). I am guessing that there was some motion on the two in your 1st post. Are these all handheld? Or are you using a (good, stable) tripod?

billmiky

New to Mu-43
I never use a tripod... everything is handheld. I think the difference in the last image is that it is 750mm ff equivalent (APS-C) in good light. much easier to hand-hold with those conditions. All of these shots are warblers... these suckers move fast. I will try and find a sunny day and get some shots with the GX7.

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have just sold my Tamron 500mm BBB mirror. I found these images and now im sorry I let it go Arrrrggghhh!!! have been so obsessed with the PL100/400......

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tried it on my Fuji X-H1 w/Tamron 55B SP 500mm/8 Mirror

Moon by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Donut bokeh by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Cemetery Bunny by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Cemetery flowers by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Cemetery reflection by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Cemetery by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bristolero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Tried it on my Fuji X-H1 w/Tamron 55B SP 500mm/8 Mirror

View attachment 773628Cemetery Angel by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

View attachment 773629Cemetery flag by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

View attachment 773630Cemetery stick by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

View attachment 773631Cemetery flowers by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

View attachment 773632Cemetery stick by Rick McNelly, on Flickr
Rick, I really love the Cemetery Angel, really all your work with adapted lenses. Enjoyable to see what guys like you and Kevin Balling are doing.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
This lens is on my short list of mirror lenses to get.
I like and use the mirror lenses when I have to "reach way out."
For me it is a logistical issue. The mirror lens is smaller and lighter and easier to carry than a "stovepipe."
And on an Olympus, it is stabilized :biggrin: which it never was on a film SLR (or a dSLR).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom