Tamron 14-150 mm iii --- does anyone us this lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by frankagel, Feb 24, 2015.

1. frankagel

frankagel New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2012
    Arlington, Texas
    Has anyone used this lens, if so, with what kind of results?
  2. LarryL

LarryL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    I'd love to know as well. I am about to pull the trigger on the Olympus new weather sealed 40-150 when it is available because I do a lot of work in the tropics and that consideration is major but I would still like to hear more about this lens. It is basically the same price as the Oly and Panasonic 45-140 but one review I read gave it higher marks for sharpness and resolution.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It doesn't seem to be a big seller.

Here's a few reviews I found:

Looks pretty nice, it's just kind of expensive and not available used/refurb. I think if Tamron had done something crazy like make it start at 12 or 13mm or go to 175mm it would have more appeal.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Honestly, it surprised me that Tamron would go with an already covered focal length range. I believe they would make a killing if they made a few ultra wide zooms or go for the longer end, like a 200-400mm, or some longer primes(and I'm not talking the mirror lenses either) 300mm or 400mm, keep them around f/4, super sharp. m43 is kind of lost on the longer end at this point. The Pany 100-300 and Oly 75-300 are on the slow side and only convenient in very good light.
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They did that on Sony, too. Sony has 3-4 of their own 18-200s and what does Tamron make? An 18-200. There are SO many holes in Sony they could have filled. Famous Tamron 90mm macro maybe? Have to wonder what they thought they were accomplishing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    One of the theories I've heard is that Tamron has only to change the mount on a lot of their lenses (similar to what Sigma has done with the 30/60 f/2.8 m43 lenses). Makes me wonder if they did not have this designed for other mirrorless cameras and just happened to release it for m43 first.

I agree a 90 macro would be great. I use my Nikon mount adapted on an EM1 and it provides great results, even hand held with focus peaking. A proper AF lens might be a hot seller if priced right. Not sure what the standard R&D, testing, dev to market time frame is for these third party lens makers.