1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tamrac Rally 4??

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Apr 28, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does anyone use the Tamrac Rally 4? Any opinions/insight? I might also be shopping a used one, if applicable.

2. sjducks

sjducks Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    chicago, il
    I use a Rally 5 and overall it is a nice bag (although I have limited experience with other brands). Build quality is above par and the size allows me to throw in my E-P2 and E-PM1, the kit lens, a Sigma 19mm, and a CCTV with a few filters, batteries and other small essentials. One great thing that I was looking for was a small padded/protected slot to slide a tablet into. I'm enjoying it thus far.

3. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I also have the new Rally 5. I bought it to hold my iPad and cameras. The Rally 4 is slightly smaller and does not hold an iPad The only beef I have with these new bags are the clips. I find them flimsy and not as sturdy as Tamrac's other clips. I really like the clips on the Zuma series. At least Tamrac has a velcro piece along with the clip just in case the clip ever comes loose.

I highly recommend going into a store and playing with the bag. I love the versatility of the Rally series, its slim profile, and light weight. It's also a LOT cheaper than the Think Tank Retrospective 5 that I was looking at as well. My big issue with the Think Tank is the lack of a clip of any kind. The Retro 5 depends on two big velcro pieces to keep the flap closed. It's doesn't exactly instill confidence in the safety of my equipment.

Plus, I picked up the Rally 5 at 25% off at the Penn Camera tent sale last weekend. You can't beat the price when compared to many other similar bags.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    So, a Rally 5 will fit an iPad? I thought only the 7 had a place for something like that (it has a laptop slot). So, I'm assuming a Rally 6 would also fit an iPad?

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm not sure if the 6 has a slot for an ipad/laptop or not. I had a Rally 4 for a couple of weeks and then traded up to a Rally 5 to carry a larger kit and used it for a couple of weeks last month. They were my primary bags during my month in New York. I find these bags to be incredibly good and, given the price, incredible bargains. I've spent a lot of time with Domke bags, Think Tank, and a few others. I love the look and feel of the Domkes but I have to say that for a larger kit, the Rally bags are more comfortable to carry and in use than about anything I've tried.

It holds plenty. In the Rally 5, I can easily get my EM5, my X-Pro 1, an extra lens for the X-Pro and anywhere from 4-6 extra lenses for the EM5, depending on which lenses and how I load the bag (its deep enough to stack lenses easily). The Rally 4 is fine but won't take an ipad and will limit you to fewer lenses - probably more than enough for a single body m43 kit though, unless the ipad is key. The bags are well padded but they give up the gear really easily - I've found some bags really make you dig and hunt, but these hold their shape and everything in the bag is readily accessible both going in and coming out. The other surprise to me is that the synthetic fabric and the shoulder pad for the grip allow both the bag and the strap to move JUST enough to keep things from grabbing and binding on your clothes. Sometimes with a Domke bag, my shirt will be a twisted mess as the bag moves the shirt as it needs to move. With the Rally bags, the strap slides through the pad and the bag slides on my back or side just enough to prevent that but the bag still feels stable and solid to walk with. I walked a ton all over New York City with these bags during April and was really surprised at how comfortable they were when I wanted to take most of my gear out.

Made me re-think my attraction to more expensive (and perhaps more attractive) bags - these bags just really WORK. The only downside is they do LOOK like camera bags, which I guess could be an issue in some places. But I never had any problem with theft while using them.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Ray. I was thinking of 2 bags -- after some research, it looks like the Rally 5 is what I want for my "main bag" but I also want a ligher/travel bag to hold likely 2 EPM1s (something like EPM1 w/P14 and EPM1 w/Oly45 and maybe a P20 loose with some filters).

I was thinking about the Domke 5xb, but what you said about the shirt would drive me crazy. Maybe I just need 2 Tamrac bags. Like a 5 and either a 4 or 2.

On the Domkes -- was it the ruggedwear that grabbed your shirt, or any Domke?

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It's much less of an issue with a small kit. When I'd go out with just a camera and one or two extra lenses, the Domke (I was using the F8) was what I carried and it was never a problem. But with the bigger bags, I've always noticed that. The Rally 4 is too big for your lighter kit, as outlined. The Rally 2 might be good but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Domke for that. No real difference between rugged wear and the others - I think a lot of it is probably the strap, which is intentionally very grippy. And part of it may be how I carry them too - I almost always have the strap on my left shoulder and the beg on my back or right hip, messenger bag style. Maybe less of an issue if you just let it hang straight down for the shoulder it's on? I'm just not comfortable carrying a bag like that over any distance.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1