1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Talk me out of this guys!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by veereshai, Nov 7, 2011.

1. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    My current gear is G1+20mm+a lot of legacy lenses. Now, I had posted an ad in the buy/trade section earlier in the day for a 14-45mm, I thought it would be a decent addition to my gear. I did a mistake by visiting serious compacts forum as I found an X100 selling for about $1000. I have been lusting for this camera for a while now and I am thinking of selling the 20mm, I have had so many keepers from this lens. I had never ever thought I'd sell the 20mm, but that x100 is so damn attractive :(. My budget doesn't permit me to retain both the 20mm and the X100, so convince me guys as to why I should not plunge and buy the X100. Thank you guys in advance :).

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you shoot primarily in 35mm FOV? Are you OK with slightly slow AF? If so, then the X100 is a good camera, and the IQ is very high.

I think it's telling, though, that a lot of early adopters are shedding it. I've read a couple of people who say they "think" in the 35mm FOV, and they still end up selling it.

It's a very interesting, wonderful camera for that field of view.

I would almost recommend buying a 17mm 2.8 and trying JUST shooting with that lens for a while. That's what I did, and I convinced me not to buy it. I prefer a 50mm FOV, so now I'm much happier with the PanLeica 25mm 1.4.

Good luck on your search! (side note, I've seen the X100 go for as low as $900, so shop for a good price!)

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I love the idea of having an X100 and I check out the product page every couple of weeks. That said, the quirks and problems with the camera are always a reality check for me.

First and foremost, I would be nervous to not have warranty coverage in case the sticky aperture blades problem creeps up. The Fuji warranty, as with most electronics, is not transferable.

Also, you have the general quirky operation and very slow speed. Focus speed and general operations performance (e.g. saving a RAW) will be much, much slower than the latest m4/3 bodies.

I don't want to sound like I am knocking the camera... just think this one sounds like a Fuji beta release. I am looking forward to upcoming models from them!

The X100 IQ is amazing and the high ISO performance would be great. But... read up on some of the flare characteristics of the fixed lens. That and the low light focus ability, may not make it a perfect night camera.

If it was my $1000, I would rather put it towards the new GX1, maybe an E-P3, or wait for the upcoming Fuji mirrorless system (or X100.2).

• Like Like x 1
  4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Dont do it ! I didnt do it, I am glad i didnt do it. I wont do it. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I have primarily used the 20mm for most of my people + landscape shots. The reason the frustration is going up is because of the lack of DR in micro four thirds or may be I am doing something wrong when it comes to landscapes. I have shot with Canon 350D before this and I was really glad I got into micro four-thirds because it offered me so much. But off late, I haven't been able to just get most from the G1+20mm combo. May be, the IQ/DR of a different body might help me too? Just not sure, hence I need the help :).

Hmm, makes sense. Would the G3 or E-P3 be a good upgrade from G1 in terms of IQ? If I can go for the E-P3, I might as well put the money towards GH2, right?

Hmm, I love the 20mm too much to let it go :). Usually, I'd have done it by now. But then it's the 20mm, so had to come ask you guys to get me to see some sense.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you like the G1 body shape, you should try the GH2. It's a much newer/better sensor than the G1.

I still wouldn't do the X100 for more DR. I'd be more tempted to try NEX or go back to a DSLR. $1,000 is a lot of money for one focal length, unless you know you shoot that focal length exclusively (or you've got a lot of money to spend!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I share your lust for the X100 and have nearly pulled the trigger a couple times. My decision has always been that as beautiful as it is and as lovely as the images are that it spits out, it will be a $600 camera in another year or so.

I was in love with the E-P1 when it first came out, but I couldn't justify its' price of $900 at the time. I said I'd buy it when I could get it for $500. It took a year and half for the price to drop to what I was willing to pay. And I didn't miss any shots. I had a camera that was good enough. I think I'm going to do the same with the E-P3 (or maybe the X100).

The G3 or the E-P3 would both be decent bumps in IQ and you could keep the 20mm that you love (and sell the extra body, if need be). That's my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It does seem like the G3 would be a good option for you... body only, these are just over $500. You could pick up the new PL 25mm for roughly the same total price as the X100.

9. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    But I can't use the 20mm on Nex and I don't see anything good coming up for it :(. Na, I don't have a lot of money to spend, I am just trying to fix things up. Sold my 70-200 over the weekend, have put a Sigma 105mm macro for sale on CL. Eventually, will sell all my canon stuff or may be retain the body + 50mm. I have been looking at GH2 as a viable option for a while now. Will look around and research a bit more.

Thanks Luke. I see your logic and it makes sense to me. I'll probably hold off till I am convinced that X100 is the camera to get and wait for the price drop. I need to test it out, any place that you might have an idea of where I could get to handle it?

Yes it does make sense. Just not sure how big a difference it will seem like. Given a choice, I wouldn't mind spending about $200-$300 more and get the GH2 if that's going to give me peace of mind for another couple of years.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I don't see how anyone who mentions budgets and having to make choices about photography equipment could consider the X100. I mean, it's a very specialized luxury product with the single focal length..I think you're better off using limited equipment dollars on M43.

11. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Sorry, my bad. I wasn't clear enough. My intent was to suggest that I'd sell the canon equipment + 20mm for the X100. I'd still retain the G1 as I have some really nice legacy lenses that I'll never ever let go (likes of Kiron, Vivitar series 1 macro lenses). That way, I'd get best of both. X100 for day to day shooting and micro four thirds for macro. But, come to think of it, I'd be left without much for landscape photography.

The reason why X100 appeals to me is the APS-C sensor with a very good lens in front of it. I am a prime addict and would remain so for a while, unless I see a very good zoom (like the 70-200mm from Canon) which would make me want to have a zoom lens. And I am very comfortable using that focal length. I looked around, but I couldn't find anything else in the range of X100. Yes, I can get a Nex system, but honestly, I haven't seen a good native lens from them yet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Had the same thought on the EP3. I bought it, and it's great, but I sold it so I had some money for better lenses. Bought a cheap EPL2, which is really a wonderful camera, and am just using the EPL2 + EP1 until the EP3 drops in price. I saw one for sale for $700 with the kit lens, which is getting close to my threshhold (I'd like $400 body only).

13. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Out of curiosity WT21, how does the E-PL2 fare? Does the weak AA filter do much for your photographs in terms of sharpness? I know I might be asking for too much, but any comparison against the GF-2 or the G2/G3? That would help me get my priorities straight when I got out for camera shopping.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve

And I'm sure eventually you will get your wish. The E-P2 body only is $299 right now. If you're in no hurry, I say get comfortable and wait. It might take two years but it'll happen. In the meantime, get out and enjoy the kit you have.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'd love to help you, but I'm not a Panny shooter. I love Panny lenses and Oly bodies :)

The EPL2 delivers sharper pictures than the EP1, and I thought on par with the EP3, but from what I've read, the GH series is the best. Back early on, I compared G1 to GH1 and Pen, and I thought G1 was the weakest (at least at higher ISO), so I think you will get a step up no matter what you move to from the G1. Also, the Panny 16MP sensor in, e.g., the G3 should be good for landscapes. GH2 sensor as well. The EPL2 is fine for my needs, but it's a lower MP sensor, so if you are blowing up your landscapes, it might not be the strongest choice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks a lot :). I think that kinda clears it up for me. Will hold off the X100 for now and get a GH series camera. I'll try and post some photographs to highlight the problems I have been having with my G1. It could be the technique as well (not well versed with landscape photography), so any inputs on that from this forum will help me as well.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I find the more detailed images blow up very nicely, irregardless of megapixel resolution. If you don't have the fine line resolution, then adding more pixels just adds more of the same. Sharp pixel level resolution does better for large prints.

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Here's my 2 pennies.

I used the X100 for 1.5 months. It was a loaner, but if I liked it I could by it at a very handsome discount.

I loved the camera. Even my wife, who is absolutely not interested in photography, told me I had to buy it because she loved the portraits of her I shot with the X100. I think it says a lot because she is very critical of images featuring her face (as all women are).

It was very tempting because at the time I was deeply disappointed in Micro 4/3. I was thinking about buying a Canon DSLR for video work and 'serious' shooting, and the X100 could be a very good compact companion to a DSLR.

But in the end I decided not to buy it. While I found 35mm EFL to be surprisingly versatile, I couldn't live with the slow AF and the general feeling of sluggishness. I planned to use the X100 for street shooting, but its AF was less than optimal for that purpose and I was not able to master its quirky manual focusing system.

Still, sometimes I regret letting the X100 go. The sensor, the lens, the look and the feel of metal - everything was super awesome. It's a shame Fuji didn't spend additional time polishing the quirks of this beautiful camera.

Pavel

19. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Don't go with "so damn attractive." This is the problem, I feel, that people are having with wanting a rangefinder-looking camera and going with a GX1 for example instead of the G3 - it is purely a looks issue. I have a GF1 that I rarely if ever use now, even though it is very cute in my view. It is no where near as convienent as the G3.

As to the 20mm, don't give it up - it is a gem of a lens. Also, my favorite lens of all is the 14-45. If you can find one, get it and it will go great with any future G body.

20. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Not sure I understood "fine line" resolution part Ned, I'll probably have to do more research. Thank you for your inputs though.

Thanks Pavel for your perspective. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, so I'll probably agree with you when I get a chance to play around with an X100. I'd be curious to see what Fuji comes up with for the mirrorless camera. I hope they do a better job in the AF department and retain X100's styling. That way we'd be able to get best of both worlds.