Talk me out of an E-M5 III (or don't)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Another viewpoint, the EVF.
I cannot use a long lens with only the back screen of a camera. It is just TOO HARD, for me.
Since the Pen F has a viewfinder, I thought that this was a given in this discussion. Yes, real cameras have viewfinders (just kidding, somewhat). You're not alone in wanting one, especially with long lenses. For a secondary camera (like he uses his PL-7, I guess), I suppose you could get away without one. But I don't (I use a GM5 as secondary). I really like @pdk42 's idea of an E-M5.3 and an E-M10.2 secondary (I have one, but usually use the GM5 as secondary; yeah, the different systems are confusing, but I can handle it :) ).

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
I vote for black. All three of my Olympus bodies are black. Black just looks better to me. With black, you are also less likely to be noticed by others if you are doing things like street photography.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
I vote for black. All three of my Olympus bodies are black. Black just looks better to me. With black, you are also less likely to be noticed by others if you are doing things like street photography.
Silver body looks as good with silver lens as with black. Black body with silver lens is IMHO ugly. So silver body is better suited for purchasing second hand lenses ;-). And I also think size matters more than colour in being "stealth". And also your manners.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So I love my Pen-F. I like the rangefinder form factor and small size and enjoy the good looks. On the other hand, I don't care about the front knob, I seldom use it. After one year of shooting with it I added an E-PL7 that I can just toss carelessly in my bag. I often go out with both cameras fitted with a prime lens. Or on holiday I use the 12-40 f2.8 on my Pen-F and the 40-150 plastic fantastic on the E-PL7. This works for me as they are both very light and I don't need to switch lenses. One thing about this set-up bothers me: the different control schemes owing to the lack of buttons on the E-PL7. (I don't use the exposure compensation button on the Pen-F by the way, I think it's too stiff.)
I'm going to keep the E-PL7 but I was thinking of adding the E-M5 III. Advantages: more dials, an EVF, better AF (I never tried to shoot anything moving with my Pen-F), more MP, slightly better image quality. So on my trips and travels I could use the Pen-F and the E-M5 III side by side. The E-PL7 will stay my "throw in the bag" camera for daily shooting.

Cons: I still use Lightroom 6 because I don't want to pay for a license every month. I import my photos in Lightroom for cataloging and then export to DXO Photolab for the actual post-processing. So I don't know if a new unsupported camera will fit this workflow.

It might be GAS, but the last time I bought photography equipment was some time ago and because of the pandemic I am not going to be strict on myself for wanting a shiny new toy. Black or silver?
Personally I think that E-M5III is fine camera but I have one big problem with it.
Decision of Olympus to not made battery grip for it.
From my experience with my M43 cameras - EPM2 and E-M10II - second one is much better camera in almost all aspects but has one disadvantage over EPM2. Significantly lower battery life.
E-M5III is in this similar to E-M10II, so at least battery grip would be good solution for many situations.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom