Takumar Users: Best M42 to 4/3 Adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Basset, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    I have a decent supply of Takumars that I use with my Pentax DSLR. All I want is something

1. That doesn't get in the way of my setting the aperture on the Takumar; I don't want to shoot wide open all the time on my E-PL3

2. That isn't ridiculously huge ore heavy (otherwise, I'd just use my Pentax K-r)

3. That isn't going to get stuck on my camera, or require shims, paper, etc. Just something I can put on and use reliably.

Ideally, recommendations would come with links.

Tellng me "lots are available on E-Bay" isn't helpful. I want to know what people actually have with their Takumars.

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    I use the Pixco adapter, got it on eBay from this guy but they are pretty common.

Inexpensive and does the job. Quality is fine.

On mine it focuses slightly past infinity which is not that big a deal. Someone on the 50/1.4 shimming thread mentioned a couple other brands that apparently don't do this.
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  4. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    For $30 you can get adapters from Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging on Amazon. I've used both. They will most likely focus slightly past infinity. Not the best, but for most uses that's ok with me. Going that last 5% to the best is often very expensive.

• Like Like x 3
  6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    just my $0.02 - I have the Pixco adapter and it seems to be somewhat higher quality than the RainbowImaging one I used to use. It does focus a bit farther past infinity than some of the other adapters I have used though.
  7. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I have the Kiwifotos M42 adapter, it focuses a bit past infinity but it only cost $20-$30. It's a solid piece of anodized aluminum and the lens screws in tightly, even when I use shims.
  8. geoffox23

geoffox23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2010
    Brisbane. Australia
    I've found solid adapters unsatisfactory; mine have loose fit and the lens markings end up at an awkward angle.

My Super Taks need a flanged adapter and the SMC models need an unflanged adapter. I am happy with this one, nicely made and covers both types. ebay Item number: 400223743794 sold by big_is.
  9. gma

gma New to Mu-43

Mar 20, 2012
    I just received a Kiwi fotos M42 adapter for Micro 4/3. It seems rather well made, and works well with my 1:2/55mm Super Takumar lens.

It doesn't work at all well with my 1:1.4/50mm S-M-C Takumar (it's the later model with 8 aperture blades) as the rear element protrudes back too far when the focus scale starts to approach infinity, and the adapter prevents the element from moving further back. Luckily it hasn't scratched it (it was a metal on metal incident, rather than glass on metal), but it's going to have to go back.

Next up, Novoflex (which I would have bought in the first place, only it was out of stock at the UK distributor).
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would not get any k-mount to MFT adapter that does not have the ability to stop down the aperture.

This one does:

and judging from the photos of the novoflex one link earlier, it does too...

For how I use the K-mount lenses, its extremely cumbersome to work counting the ticks on the aperture ring. With an adapter that can open close the aperture, you basically shoot like the old aperture-present lenses from many years ago.

For screwmount lenses, I buy many (1 for each lens I intend on carrying) from rainbowimaging. Leave the screwmount adapters attached to each lens and dismount them from the camera via the MFT bayonet mount rather than screwing the lens. Its faster, less likely to crossthread, and less likely to fumble the lens and drop it. The screwmount adapters are pretty inexpensive. I use the A-M switch on most Takumar M42 lenses to open up and stop down the aperture diaphragm.
  11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
  12. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    For my takumars I use the Kipon M42 adapter. It's the best I've encountered and it focus past infinity, but it's high quality to my eye. I got it from a deal because new it's expensive.

The M42 to m4/3 focal reducer from RJ is is perfect fit and fits tight on the body. Also it allows to set infinity perfectly and thus having the distance scale working again. Setting infinity will only work for a particular FL. But I found that the takumars are somewhat sharper, faster, and there is less color aberration, both longitudinal and lateral aberration are optimized.
  13. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    can you see if it's the version 1 or 2 of the lens? You can see the number behind the M/A switch, if it's 43812, you got a marvelous rare 6 elements 135mm F2.5!
  14. bobpur

bobpur Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Cowboystudio, in Texas or also Canada.
    Very good fit and small, also there is no lnner flange as on the fotodiox one. The flange will
    Not allow the taks to fully seat because of the square pin on them.
    The K mount lenses on mirrorless do not need an aperture control and will work as the takumars showing
    Your dof on the screen.
  15. Crushader

Crushader Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Using Fotga adapter, can be found cheap from $10-15 on eBay. They work well for me on Tak 50mm f1.4, no issue so far. Currently using "RJ" focal reducer for my 50mm f1.4 as well, and that is very very well made, solid and precision mounting. It clicks on and stays in place without wobble, also thinner than normal adapter due to its nature being a focal reducer. And you know what, it keeps the aperture indicator right in the middle of the camera, not on the side like the Fotga adapter I have.