Takumar 50mm or 55mm. Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jul 10, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I was going to grab a 50mm but then i heard about the 55mm which is a bit cheaper, and also nearly half the weight. Anyways i am deciding between these 2 lenses because i was originally going to grab the 50mm macro, but then i figured other than macro it is pretty useless. Anyways i am deciding between the 50mm 1.4 and the 55mm 1.8. Which one is sharper at a lower fstop (and sharper overall)? I am planning on using this lens as a regular lens but then using it for macro as well with the extension tubes. Which lens is the better of the 2? Thanks

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I would say about equal. Both are OK wide open, good at f2 and excellent from f2.8+

I liked my Helios 44M better than both, though.

3. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    My helios 44m is pretty decent however, i am starting stop using it due to the weight. This is why i was considering picking up the 55mm takumar cause its around 160g or so.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

Yeah the 55mm 1.8 was a smaller one. Isn't the series E 50mm pretty small and light?

5. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    yeah its pretty small and light but lately i haven't been overly impressed with it. Maybe my copy is just bad. I find its pretty soft even at like f8 compared to the helios. I heard the series e nikkors are supposed to be decent but maybe my copy just sucks? I also am kinda annoyed at the size of the aperture ring, it makes it hard to turn.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 55/f2 is definitely a step down from the 50/f1.4. The 55 was the kit lens, and the 50 was the upgrade option.

It's mostly whether you care more about saving 100g or the option to shoot 1 stop faster. The 1.4 will be a sharper at the same aperture in almost every case (until you get to maybe f4, in which case they'll both be sharp).

7. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Oh I didn't know there was an f2 version. Is the 1.8 version better? That's the one I wanted to get.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.