1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Taking visitors on a photowalk around your city

Discussion in 'Mu-43 Member Activities, Meetups, and Hangouts' started by quatchi, May 19, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Here is an idea I've had in mind for quite some time now.

I love traveling (business and private) as well as photography. That's why I always bring my camera and try to take some time to wander around whenever I am new to a place. The thing is that quite often I only end up in the major tourist spots - which of course are interesting. The true spirit of a city, however, is mostly in the off beaten side streets and squares, only known to the locals. That's where my idea comes in. How about creating a thread where people are offering to take visitors on a photowalk around their city/area/whatever. People would enlist for which city they are available and visitors can contact them via private message (PM) to agree upon a date. The local person, of course, is not obliged to go for a photowalk. The local, on the other hand, shouldn't charge the visitor anything. The visitor, however, might choose to say "thank you" in a form of paying a beer in a local pub afterwards, for instance. How to deal with entrance fees (if any) could be discussed upfront via PM, email or by phone.

Here are the catchy bullet points what's in for everybody:

Local:
    - Encouraged to go out shooting more often in the own neighborhood
    - Meeting new and interesting people
    - Learn from other/foreign people's shooting styles (not the usual gang one hangs out with)
    - Looking forward to the next trip - that's where you could meet a local

Visitor:
    - A friendly person showing you around
    - Coming back home with not only the "standard postcards"
    - Meeting new and interesting people (this goes both ways;-) )
    - Learning from other person's shooting styles (again...)
    - Might even get to know something about the place's history

In case local and visitor both shoot µ43 (which is very likely in this forum:) ), one could even add "try out new cameras and lenses" to the lists above.

So, how does that sound? Would you be interested in such a thread?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the volunteers/locals. This is the list so far:

Asia
    - China
    - Malaysia
    • Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (darosk)
    - Philippines
    - Singapore
    - South Korea
    - Taiwan
    -Thailand
    Europe
    - Croatia
    - Denmark
    - Germany
    - Great Britain
    - Spain
    - Switzerland

North America
    - Canada
    - USA

Pacific
    - Australia
    - New Zealand

In case you want in, just reply and I will update this post. If we get a couple of people, we could ask one of the admins to make this a sticky.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Does sound interesting, but it'll require me to learn more about my area first.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Interesting idea. I don't live in a city, but I could be up for this in my area anyway.

Harwich where I work (Port on the N Essex coast) I could make lunchtimes which might suit those catching a ferry/cruise.

NE Essex, as far inland as Colchester/Dedham (Roman Town & 'Counstable country') could be a possibility outside of work if family commitments allow...

4. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    I'll be in for Hong Kong (where I am currently residing), Busan and Seoul whenever I am there, and Vancouver Canada if I ever return.

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I don't think it should be required to be an expert. The only requirement to be entered into the list is: Having fun to go shooting with other people. This might range from covering the local must-see sights, street photography, landscapes, macro or even indoor if you are happy to offer something.

Visitor and local should agree beforehand via PM what their expectations or wishes are - no pressure on the local for 'having to deliver' something. Its a casual stroll with newly met forum members and not a customer/client relationship.

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd love to do something like this for Launceston, the Tamar Valley and for Tasmania in general actually. If not as an actual physical guide then perhaps for a quick beer to give the visitor some local insights to help with their own self-guided trip.

The only flaw being that I'm generally out of the country 5 months a year, and on-track most of the time I'm back :/

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Very cool idea. I would be happy to meet or show visitors around my hometown of Vancouver, Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I'm retired, so always (well, nearly) available. I can offer Dortmund in Germany, or the nearby country areas (Sauerland, Münsterland).

9. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Count me in for Ottawa, ON Canada and the Bay Area, CA USA. I travel back and forth.

10. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Updated...

So far we have 14 cities/areas and 7 locals. I am already looking forward to read about the first local-visitor photowalk when it comes up. :)

11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Campbellsville, KY.

Small town in central Ky, mostly farm country. There's a few historical and tourist sites scattered about. Retired, so scheduling not usually difficult.

There should be a list posted somewhere, to make it easy to pick somewhere/someone for meet up.

PM, then phone connection,.....

12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I can offer Auckland, New Zealand

14. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Nashville, TN, USA

15. TDP

TDP Guest

My residence is in Taipei, Taiwan and I've attended Kelby/Nikon/Adobe photowalks, I've also arranged small group photowalks in the local area.

16. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I'm in Madrid most of the year and am used to touring friends/family around so add me to the list

17. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    This is so exciting! :)

18. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark, add me to the list

19. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    You can add me for Salem County, NJ (if anyone ever want to visit here. We're not exactly a well known area)

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    im in!
    Austin, TX :D