Taking Photos through Glass

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gazman, May 5, 2013.

1. Gazman

Gazman New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2013
    I have a Olympus EP-3 which I recently bought to replace a much more basic camera
    We are leaving soon on a major holiday and would like to ask advise on which setting to use to take photos of landscape or scenery through windows on trains ; buses ; or light planes

2. B Rob N

B Rob N New to Mu-43

Apr 9, 2012
    You'll need a polarising filter for best results. The filter will reduce relections on the window. You'll also want fast shutter speeds to reduce motion blur.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Mu-43 App
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    +1...Circular polarising filter will help reduce reflections depending on the angle used at, they also help reduce the effects of haze
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Your nemesis might well be dirt. Bring a small bottle of window cleaner and rags. If you're able to see where you'll be sitting before boarding, try to give the outside of the window a quick cleaning in addition to the inside surface. (light planes excepted ...) ;)
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've done it many times. It should be fine with just a few of the issues mentioned above. Here's an example of the kind of reflections you'll get.

If it's a double pane window you may also notice some strange double highlights in the Bokeh. There's really nothing that can overcome that artifact.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Just a couple of questions on the filters. Would it be better to go with a Linear polarizer or a Circular one? And what are your favorite brand(s) for them?
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Motion blur can be cool...I was on one train and I caught another going in the opposite direction:

And the staple motion shot:

But you can freeze things...here I was trying to capture a crossing using the train's horn for timing (the trains in North America have to blast the horn 4 times (2 long, 1 short, 1 long) 15-20 seconds before coming to a crossing):

BTW, those pics were taken with an ultrazoom bridge camera back in 2002...using a dSLR they will be much easier to achieve due to the lack of shutter lag, which is the norm for bridge cameras back then.
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    For m43 it does not matter . Not much selection is made of linear. B&w, hoya, Marumi are all good IMHO .
  10. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Another option for cutting reflections is to use a rubber lens hood placed right up against the glass.
  11. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL

This is my favorite method when possible.
  12. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I took a whole bunch of images about a month ago from a building in the Baltimore harbor. Reflection are tough and unfortunately I don't have a polarizer yet. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I've never tried that before. Thanks for the tip.
  14. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    +1 on this...I have done alot of aquarium shots with this technique. The rubber hood is used to quiet the vibrations from the glass
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Or just the lens/hood itself. The rubber is always better in these situations, but not necessary.

16. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Rubber hoods allow you to have the camera at an angle without letting in reflections so often work much better from a composition point of view. You also want to avoid touching the glass with anything that will transmit engine vibration to the camera. Engine induced camera shake has ruined thousands of photos from light aircraft.

I have on occasion used a hat or jacket, to block offending reflections.

On some aircraft using a polariser can show stress pattens in the windows. (I assume they were plastic windows with a polariser film added to the outside, as these sort of coloured bands are usually produced using crossed polarisers)

I'd recommend taking both a polariser and a rubber hood. Remember to make use of your aperture to loose any dirt on the windows - if it's far enough out of focus it will only reduce the image contrast and not otherwise be visible.
  17. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    When I was learning about shooting through glass I had some wonderful NYC night shots ruined by reflections. Since then I've bought a sheet of black cloth that I can drape over my camera and shoulders to block out the offending light source. Felt is best but it is also the most heavy.
  18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Often, I'll cup my hand at the edge of the plastic/metal hood in lieu of a rubber hood. Works in a pinch.