Taking photos interferes with memory :study

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Shock, horror - taking photos divorces photographer from reality! Much the same as playing around with smartphones etc divorces us from human relations.
  3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    If I'm doing something repeated like sledding with my 2-year-old, where I'd like some photos, but know that there will be another chance, I don't bring my camera the first time. Even when it's a single event, I make sure to put it down for a while to enjoy the event, itself.

This year's edition of an annual "guys' weekend" in the Thousand Islands seemed a little shorter and less memorable than other years. In retrospect, I attribute that to two things: 1) the TV came on sooner this year, so the evenings where less eventful, and 2) another guy and I both have really gotten into photography, so we spent a lot of time shooting things. Next year, I intend to reduce both of those things and spend more time hanging out with the guys.

On a related note, my brother (and later I) forbid my dad from bringing a camera to his wedding. He said that there is a wedding photographer there for a reason, so he should just enjoy the moment.

I purchased a Joby UltraFit Sling Strap to help me be more efficient at events. It lets you lock your camera out of the way, but is also quick to deploy. Otherwise, I found that I either was holding my camera, feeling compelled to shoot every little thing, or had it set down somewhere, meaning that I didn't have it when fun moments happened. I ended up with lots of unexciting shots and missed some moments that I would loved to have captured. Now, my hit rate on interesting shots is much higher.
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
  5. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    Hmm, given a few months or years, I don't remember much about an event if I didn't take pictures. Those events where I took pictures seems etched in my memory, probably because I pay more attention while shooting and relive those moments repeatedly later.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Exactly! Memories grow so hazy so quickly, or disappear completely. Photos help keep them alive.
  7. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I can guarantee that regardless how I may remember an event, my camera will record and remember it in 100% accuracy each and every time.
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Similar thread started yesterday. https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56844

I personally don't seem to suffer from this. I will admit that I often become so preoccupied with my photography that I forget about the others around me. But if you knew them you would understand why that isn't all bad{just kidding family}.
  9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    This quote is key for me..

"Research has suggested that the sheer volume and lack of organisation of digital photos for personal memories discourages many people from accessing and reminiscing about them. In order to remember, we have to access and interact with the photos, rather than just amass them," said Dr Henkel.

I long since gave up shooting every little thing and every little event. I came to similar conclusions.. I was missing out on the events, and the photos were boring and uninspired. Now I shoot to create something special. I don't get that by dragging my camera to every birthday, picnic, dinner party, etc.

Nowadays, I love photography more than ever, but I produce far less volume than I ever did in my early point and shoot years. I now typically keep 50-100 shots a month vs hundreds in the past. When I first got serious about photography as a hobby, I thought I had to take my camera everywhere to learn and get good shots. While that may work for some, it did not work for me. Over time I found I was rarely using it when I just brought it along. I love to go back over the photos I take now over and over and get more enjoyment out of them and often go back and process more or try different things. When I look back to the days when I shot everything, it feels like an insurmountable jumbled mess and I don't even bother.

I feel like this article refers more to the cell phone snapshot social media post everything culture that is emerging. I find that a very different thing from my photography.
  10. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I think one of the key quotes from the story is:
    I suspect that most people here go and look at old photos, and also interact with them via post-production.

For myself, I always like to have my old photos appearing as my screensaver.
  11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you are right. Those of use who are serious about our photography are not in the same league as the smart phone shooter who constantly posts his pics{good or bad} to the internet.
  12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I enjoy editing and tweaking my images more than taking them. I love the process of shooting, editing, adjusting, printing, mating, framing and even hanging. Of course, I'm running out of wall space. However, I regularly go through a mini process with my web galleries. Pretty hard to forget your images after working with them so intently.

As for the good doctor's remark . "Research has suggested that the sheer volume and lack of organisation of digital photos for personal memories discourages many people from accessing and reminiscing about them," sheesh he needs to invest in Aperture or Lightroom and get it together! If you're too lazy to organize your images files, I'm guessing it's just part of a larger pattern of disorganization. I have a dear friend whose iMac desktop is her only filing system. She just dumps everything there. Doesn't even use folders. The inside of her car and apartment look the same. When she uploads her images to FB, she dumps the entire card without bothering to pick the good ones let alone remove the terrible ones.
  13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I think the study design is suspect. It had no proper controls and the different groups were treated in different ways. If this were used in anything seriously it would have been laughed out of the lab.
  14. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Wasn't there an article just a few weeks stating the photography is better for the mind than doing puzzles like crosswords and sudoko?