Taking my EP1 underwater

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PSimmons, Jun 23, 2011.

1. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hey guys, just exploring someunderwater housing options for my EP1, any one ever use one of the UWA products?
  2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Doesn't this belong more to the User Contributed Leaks forum?
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I think that is why PSimmons started this thread ... to avoid that forum.
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    As long as your house is not underwater...
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Sounds like he/she wants to explore that possibility.
  7. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Sadly not really. There were a few prototypes floated (ha!) about when the E-P1 first launched, but I think the only one produced was from a company called Athena. It is pretty damn expensive IIRC, and you would likely be better off just getting an E-PL1 or E-PL2 and the matching Olympus housing for half of what the Athena would cost. Ikelite decided against making housings for any CSCs for the time being. There are more options if you move to a more popular camera model (E-PL1, E-PL2, GF1, etc.)

Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to find housings for older cameras. If you intend to dive with a camera, you should probably buy the housing before the camera gets phased out of production. Many divers I know buy their housings first and cameras after, and try to get a second identical body as a backup since they've already invested so much in the housing. These are generally very limited run, niche products, so not a lot are made (maybe just a couple percent relative to the number of cameras made).