1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Taking IBIS to task - Hand Held -

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by G1 User, May 26, 2012.

1. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    It has been awhile since I owned a camera with internal stabilization. So, when I got the Olympus E-M5, I was exited about this camera toting the “best” in camera stabilization around. I own 9 legacy lenses, 5 of which would benefit from IBIS. My 55mm Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/3.5. I am writing this article on using the E-M5 IBIS, hand held so you can achieve results that where only possible by using a tripod. Of course, we had IBIS for quite a while, but, a refresher in “Pushing” the IBIS is always inspirational… I hope.

Here are few samples...

The Base Photo at 1/160s

Shutter Speed Effects / Posted on my Oly E-M5 Blog by Peter Arbib, on Flickr

a few to show the effects..

I am amazed I can get down to 1/2s (on my Blog post), and still have a sharp photo in the non-moving parts.

There is more on using this technique on my Blog..

5-Way Axis IBIS in action

• Like Like x 3
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Incredible! I've been pleased with the IBIS on my E-P1 and E-PL2 but this is a whole new level. Someday . . . :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Looking forward to reading this.Your samples are eye openers.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Great Blog

Book marked. Thanks. :2thumbs:

5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Nice - it would probably help people if you mentioned which lens you used for the images (20mm) as it will save them having to click all the way through to the flickr EXIF which is a real pain.....

6. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, the new IBIS is amazing, I have managed to take hand held night shots with 1 second of exposure

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Post an example!