1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

taking a tally: do you have cracked bottom bezel on OMD EM5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cookme, Nov 29, 2012.

1. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
  2. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    this thread should probably be merged into alvinksu's, not sure if it's possible on a thread embeded with a poll...

3. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I answered the tally with a resounding no, and then read the forum and went and got the camera and really checked! I don't have a crack.

4. Chris Pringle

Chris Pringle New to Mu-43

Nov 27, 2012
    Mexico
    Sounds like this is something that develops over time. No crack on mine so far (knock on wood!) Got it last week.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Do you use the flip out screen?

Another question that might have something to do with the issue - is there a correlation between using the screen in flip out mode and bezel cracks?

Other than flipping the screen out to make sure it worked, I've not used the screen in flip out mode, and have no bezel crack.

Regards,

Jim

6. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    I flip mine up all the time and I have no crack
    Yet

7. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I rarely flip mine out, but have a few times, and have a crack below the center screw.

Looking at the numbers, it's obviously a defect, not one that I care about cosmetically though, so if Oly promises to cover it if it gets worse/leads to something, I'd be happy to just leave it alone.

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Not yet on my E-M5, but I could certainly see the color change in the plastic right above the center screw, suggesting that that is quite a bit of stress at that part. I can imagine it is only a matter of time before mine cracks...

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    While we are on this topic, here's what ePhotozine reported:

Olympus OM-D Cracked Screen Bezels

I hope Olympus finds a fix and do a recall. I don't mind sending my camera back in to get this problem fixed for good, rather than having it become an issue after the warranty expires...

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I can only vote once, but I have two cameras. So add another vote to the "None" tally.

11. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Mine is about half a year old, only sometimes pull it out. buts it`s there. boo hoo

12. Stonehollow

Stonehollow Guest

I infrequently flip mine out. Mine is a "partial" center crack.

13. Cerber0s

Cerber0s New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. Mine is cracked. A few months old. I doubt flipping or not flipping the screen has anything to do with it. The lower center screw is not an obvious stress point. It's far more likely that oly has overtightened the screws. Taking mine back to the dealer because I'm not taking any chances with the weather sealing.

14. sueifong

sueifong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    When I first saw the thread I checked my camera but noticed nothing. Then, I saw a Taiwanese forum where almost 90% of the OMD owner have the same issue I looked mine again closely, and bang, I got 3 hairline cracks at the back of the screen.
    Check my pictures at full size and you can see it clearly.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sui-fong/8232020323/" title="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks by Suei Fong, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sui-fong/8232014523/" title="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks by Suei Fong, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sui-fong/8233079710/" title="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks by Suei Fong, on Flickr">"768" height="1024" alt="Olympus OMD EM5 screen cracks"></a>