Taking a day off to pretend to be a wedding photographer.

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Stefan_SS, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013

Last wednesday I took a day off from work as a IT-technichian to endulge in my hobby, Photography. I buy a lot of my gear at Scandinavian Photo and they have this great service where they arrange courses in different kinds of photography. I was looking for a day with macro shooting but I could not get a day off from work so I decided to try out weddings instead. For me it is quite a challange as I like to "be the fly on the wall" and rarely do I direct people or tell them how to pose but I felt like challenging myself.

When the day arrived it turned out that only seven people attended the course which was fine by me, I was nervous enough anyway. The teacher was a woman who had at least 15 years as a wedding/commercial photographer behind her and she was great, I really learned a lot! She was also fantastic with Lightroom and Photoshop afterwards. I was really impressed.

Since I only had my Olympus EM-1 and the 12-40 f2,8 zoom and the 75mm f1,8 with me, it was a wee bit intimidating standing in a crowd where everyone had large backpacks (some even with wheels) full of Canon and Nikon fullframe gear. Some poeple where really surprised when I arrived with my small camerabag and the rather small EM-1. I later learned that five of the others actually was working with photography and shooting weddings. They also wanted to evolve.

My pictures were developed in Capture One Pro 7, my favourite RAW-converter, and I left sharpening and whitbalance at defaultvalues, only correcting exposure and adding vignetting or turning some pictures B&W. I was very pleased with my first effort and I hope you like som of them!

With my best regards

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  2. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    I forgot to tell you all, the location is the very nice castle and castleground of Gunnebo that is located just outside Gothenburg (Sweden) where I live.

MCMLXXIII AD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    what a great way to learn...
  4. Lapdog99

Lapdog99 New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2014
    Great work that illustrates the value of working with a pro and the capability of mft cameras and lenses. Having such a great couple helped as well.
  5. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    Nice.. love the last one.
  6. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    Yes, I really like how the guys with the big guns are impressed when they see the result from a m43-camera. Seems to me that apart from the bokeh that admittedly is fantastic with a full fram Canon / Nikon and an expensiv 50mm f1.2 you really are able to get the result you wish for with a smaller camera these days. It was evident in the closeups. Otherwise I am so pleased with my EM-1.
  7. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Very good wedding photos.
  8. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013

Thank you! It is harder than I thought to direct people but it is a wonderful opportunity to follow a pro during a whole day and soak in all the tips and tricks. I Loved it and recommend anyone with photo as a hobby to try it.