1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Taking a close look at Tower Bridge

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgharold, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Interesting shots. I love how spotless everything is.

I also like how he casually notes that he "decided to venture inside". Are these areas really open to the public?

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - I had the same thoughts.

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Yes, you can visit the Engine Rooms as part of the Tower Exhibition tour
    Exhibition

Exhibition Leaflet (PDF)

BTW, congrats James on featuring in the Olympus newsletter with your Shard shots - well done !! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  5. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for the comments and feedback for this article and the Oly Mag. My intention wasn't to make out you can just walk in and probably could have worded it slightly better but for £6 it is well worth the money. You gain access to the upper walkways and the engine room. Certainly demonstrated the amazing engineering talent we had back then.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Thanks I have just ordered tickets for London vacation. I will add this to my sight list.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hi James, I want to apologize for my flippant tone (and choice of pronouns). Since I'm a bit dim-witted I didn't make the connection that jgharold and James Harold were one in the same and you were the writer of the blog. Somehow I assumed that this was a blog post you had simply come across. I also assumed that it was written by some professional photog with some sort of extraordinary access. The shots don't look like your typical "tourist" shots.

It's interesting that one can get such intimate access to such an iconic structure. Here in the states, that sort of access seems almost extraordinary in our suspicious post-9/11 times.

And you're spot on regarding the engineering prowess that the equipment you captured demonstrates.

8. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Isn't that a sad statement on things. I used to be able to wander around the local college football stadium, looking for shots of it empty, angles and such. Now it's locked tight. Cameras are almost forbidden at our shopping centers, even outside. It's a rotten way to live, suspicious of everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    And I am heading to NYC Sunday. I hope I get the chance to capture some unique views of the city.

10. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Good for you. I went there for the first time last summer. A new world of photo opportunity for this Southern boy!

11. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    Thanks for sharing the photos and the information on the bridge tour.
    I think you will love NYC, it's one big photo op.

• Like Like x 1