1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Take the camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DynaSport, Jan 1, 2015.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I am a HUGE college football fan, but I hardly ever get to go to a game. But my favorite team is playing in a bowl game nearby and I have tickets to go today! The stadium has a restriction on the size of camera you can bring in and doesn't allow any bags, camera or otherwise. But, because of the small size of M4/3 cameras and lenses, I can take my G5 with my P100-300 and be under their 12 inch size restriction. I can't, however, take a bag to keep the camera in, so I'll have to hold it the entire time. And I'm not sure what kind of photos I'll be able to get from my seat anyway, which is near the end zone. So, I'm really debating on whether to bother taking the camera or not. I'd love to get some shots of the players and such, but I don't really want to be stuck holding the camera when I'd rather be watching the game and cheering. So, I'm leaning toward not taking the camera. I'm just afraid if I don't I'll miss an opportunity for a great photo. Boy, I sure wish they'd let me take a small bag that I could just put under my seat, but they won't. Oh well.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Take the camera! Strap it across your chest for better control and less neck-pain. Be abstract... get photos of stuff if you can't get photos of people.

So, wait... you can't even take something like a purse or a hand-bag? That sucks.

3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    You can take a small clutch handbag, which would look pretty funny for me and my G5 with the P100-300 wouldn't fit anyway. And I don't have a way to strap it anywhere but my wrist. I don't use a neck strap, as I have never liked the feeling of a camera swinging from my neck. I use a wrist strap when I use the camera and when not in use I normally keep it in a small bag I keep over my shoulder, but they won't allow that bag (or any bag large enough for my 100-300 and if I'm gonna take the camera I'm taking the 100-300.

4. ThereAndBackAgain

ThereAndBackAgain Fighting GAS

May 26, 2014
    North Devon, England
    David
    I know exactly what you mean, DynaSport. I've never been happy with a camera like a necklace, either. However, just put up with it: zip your jacket over it to stop it swinging, keep the strap short and try to keep the lens pointing down rather than out in front. I only say this because if you don't, you WILL regret it! When are you next going to get this chance?

5. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Take it, surely the Cheerleaders will come by , and the bands at halftime. Should be lots of opportunity's for pic's. Enjoy the game.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Dan, this is why I still have a camera like the Olympus Stylus 1. 28-300mm equivalent, constant f/2.8 aperture, decent EVF and the camera is jacket pocketable when it's powered down. Yes, it has a small 1/1.7" sensor but it's fine in good and even only fair light. It's the perfect solution for your situation. Check out the Olympus Store's refurbished section, where I bought mine:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras/stylus-1-reconditioned.html

Maybe wait for one of those 20 percent off sales that Olympus has periodically on reconditioned goods. That's how I bought mine.

Meanwhile... to answer your question: I may be burned for heresy, but I say if the camera will become a distraction to you while you're trying to enjoy something that you really care about and can't do often, then leave it home. Happy New Year!

7. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Well, I took the camera and used every bit of the 600mm FOV. I took tons of pictures. I'll have to see if any of them are any good. Unfortunately my team lost, but I still had a good time. My wife and I haven't had much time together lately and she went with me and I didn't let the camera be too much of a distraction. I'm glad I took it. And yes, a superzoom compact camera might have been easier, but I'm glad I had the G5 and 100-300 zoom.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    And that, Dan, was probably the best play of the day!

Sometimes with faced with a 'no bag entry' problem one can find bags at the souvenir stand - either for sale (with the team logo, of course) or plastic ones that the vendors offer when purchasing a t-shirt, etc.

Glad you had a great time!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It you used the 600 equiv. end frequently, the Stylus wouldn't have been as good anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Although the OP question is now moot, I thought I would chime in. I take my camera to NFL football games all the time, just using a harness strap with a spare lens in each pocket of cargo pants. It is a bit of a pain when getting up and down, but I don't want to miss any excuse to shoot.

While the 100-300 is a great lens, I generally go for the small prime lenses at the game. Typically, I figure the guys on the sidelines are going to do a much better job getting the action shots, so I like to focus on what is around me. Also, the few times I have tried to shoot the game, I end up with post-processing paralysis, since there are inevitably hundreds of photos taken on motor drive to go through and edit/delete.

Hope you had fun.

11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I take my EM5 into Florida State games very often. I find that with my longer lens that I get some pretty impressive shots, even for seats way up high. I would never have carried my 7D to a game.

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I actually got better action shots than I expected from my seat. I used my iPhone (gasp) for the few wide angle shots I took. I would've liked to have used my P14 a few times and easily could have taken it in my pocket, but I really didn't want to be bothered changing lenses without an easy place to do it in a crowd.