Take a look before you pre-order Sony A7/A7R

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Halaking, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
  2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    I guess that is why site is called blographer... A couple points:

1. I have been using focus peaking and yes it is not a precise tool esp wide open FF 1.4. You have to change peaking levels with corresponding lens contrast, and it is perfect to use with magnification esp wide open shooting. I used 50 1.2/35 1.4 lenses with nex+speed booster with no problem. I am currently using BIGMA lens w/ gx7 focus peaking around 1000mm equiv for bird shooting and most probably I will be adding a 1.4x tc:

There is one prev 43 user shooting BIF with nex focus peaking:

2. 36MP sensor density is equivalent of 15.5MP apsc or 12MP m43 so it is not different then shooting prev generation Panasonic or nex cameras... 16MP m43 sensor has higher density, With no IS, you have to watch you shutter speeds esp Sony usually puts a min speed limit for iso change. It is basic photography. 5D Classic didn't have the auto iso, it was implemented on later cameras. It is even same with Oly IS as camera sometimes chooses a lower limit which might cause vibr with lenses like 75-300mm. It is overblown.
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    ^the fact that it has comparable pixel density to a 12mp m43 camera does nothing to diminish the fact that a 36mp camera requires more stability than a lower resolution camera if you want pixel-level sharpness. The only way you could compare the two is if the equivalent focal length on the m43 is twice as it is on the FF camera; but then ofcourse, longer equivalent focal lengths require more stability as well, so the phoblographer's argument still holds.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    All this over-hype can only turn into a bit of disappointment on some missing or buggy feature.

Nothing in the article has me second guessing my A7 preorder. What may push me to cancel is if it turns out that the 35mm isn't all that good for landscapes. Even if I do end up cancelling, I am very excited to see full frame mirrorless options. Not to replace m4/3, but to replace DSLRs (for me).
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I am in this boat. I just sold my GH2 and initially am thinking of getting a
    used E-M5 as my funds are limited. It's also the easiest route to keep my
    m4/3 lenses but I found that I was using my NEX 7 far more than the GH2.

If I sold out of the m4/3 gear it would probably set me up for a Sony A7.
    I had a 5D and loved the IQ but got tired of lugging around the weight.
    On the other hand the E-M5 will be my first body with IBIS which should be
    wonderful to use with all of my legacy glass.

So, I wait and see what the reports provide and perhaps look at the Sony
    in another year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote from the article:

Really??? Not from what I remember when I owned one a year ago.
    • Like Like x 1