take a look at that YI technology m4/3 camera...

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Any sample photos from the 42mm prime they made? Most interested in the lens. Will it autofocus on Olympus/Panasonic bodies?

Real Name
Walter
I think the most interesting thing about this camera is the user interface. A definite and welcome break from the obtuse, complex menu system found in most traditional cameras. While Olympus is apparently improving the UI in the EM1 II, it doesn't go far enough. New photographers moving up from smartphones will find the YI more welcoming and easier to use. It also facilitates file transfers. I've said before that Olympus should get Apple to redo their menus. I wasn't kidding. Imagine grafting a smartphone to an M43 body to use as the display and keeping the cellular phone connection. (I guess they have that with the Air 01, but in somewhat cumbersome fashion) The old fogies had better learn and adapt quickly, or they could become irrelevant. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :)

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Still no word on whether it has the same mechanical shutter limitations as the Panasonic gm5 /gm1? 1/500

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Seems like a bizarre omission, it's not like they lack the space...
It's not a dedicated macro lens anyway, more likely built with a switch that lets you focus closer but that's all about it, a macro lens is not just any lens focuses close.

TonyG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the most interesting thing about this camera is the user interface. A definite and welcome break from the obtuse, complex menu system found in most traditional cameras. While Olympus is apparently improving the UI in the EM1 II, it doesn't go far enough. New photographers moving up from smartphones will find the YI more welcoming and easier to use. It also facilitates file transfers. I've said before that Olympus should get Apple to redo their menus. I wasn't kidding. Imagine grafting a smartphone to an M43 body to use as the display and keeping the cellular phone connection. (I guess they have that with the Air 01, but in somewhat cumbersome fashion) The old fogies had better learn and adapt quickly, or they could become irrelevant. That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :)
I noticed the same thing and agree. I was wondering why and the only thing I could think of is they dont want to alienate their present user base. A cell phone user is probanly not going to jump up to the flagship model as a first M43 camera. It might be a mistake..

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
I tried the camera at Photokina and wasn't impressed by the touchscreen interface - I'm not talking about the idea here, but about the implementation. If you're used to what Panasonic delivers (and, to a certain extend, Olympus via SCP), you'll be disappointed by the lagginess and limitations - I'm not one to judge the average smartphone user, but I think she/he will expect quicker and more direct functionality, too. Sometimes, it's a strange mix between classical and touchscreen operation - for instance, exposure compensation requires you to tab on an icon on the screen, but then use the control dial, and it's far from exact and responsive (three or so clicks for +0.3 - why?). Another thing: Touch focus brings up a focus point grid - what for? It looks just like the Olympus grid for toggling the focus point via the D-pad - nothing wrong with that, except that you *have* to touch, D-pad doesn't exist (sorry, had to correct an earlier memory glitch here!). It's quite limiting compared to what Olympus and Panasonic let you do with touch focus. Oh, and there's no I.S. whatsoever - neither in the camera nor in the lenses.

On the other hand, the camera felt quite nice in the hand - well made, surprisingly sturdy, yet pleasantly compact (think E-PM1 with a Leica T-like grip and a big touchscreen). It will be available as a two-lens set only - and the 42.5mm can double as sort of a macro lens. All in all, if priced right, quite okay, but surely not for someone who wants a fluid and intuitive user experience. They may change that for the final units, though - but how well and how much, remains to be seen.

M.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom