Taiwan with OM-D EM 5, 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by RuffDraft, Sep 7, 2013.

1. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Well, I finally got back from my travels about 2-3 weeks ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed travelling with the OM-D for the first time. The images that I returned with are definitely the best that I've shot over the past few years of travelling. I've picked some of my favourites, downsized them to upload here (they definitely don't look as good though) and they're here for you to digest... I'd really like your opinions as to which image is your favourite... and any feedback is extremely welcome - by no means am I even a semi-pro, I'm definitely just an enthusiast, but I shot manual the entire trip to help me to develop my photography, even though I think this hurt my framing at times.

Thanks for any feedback that follows!

101_Elephant.
    View from Elephant Mountain

101_Night_1.
    View from Taipei 101 at night...

101_Night_2.
    Another view from 101 at night...

101_Night_View_3.
    Last view of 101 at night...

101 during the day...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    BOKEH.
    Messing around with the focus on the 25mm

Fly1.
    Trip to Taipei Zoo... found butterflies

Mountain_Regions.
    Trip down the Eastcoast presented this view...

Bird_upon_the_Sky.
    Whilst visiting Taroko, I figured this view was similar to a bird...

Night_Light.
    As the day faded, this beam of sunlight presented a lovely view, don't know if I captured it, but I tried.

Attached Files:

3. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Olympus_Colours.
    View of some beautiful flowers, captured with Olympus Colours...:smile:

Trio1.
    Before reaching Elephant Mountain, I tried to pull of a Ming Thein lol.

Overlooked.
    Whilst on Elephant Mountain, I saw a bunch of photographers with full length tripods; meanwhile, I shot this handheld and a few others on a miniature table top tripod... which can be seen in the first picture of the first post.

Postcard.
    Another shot from the Eastcoast...

Seaview.
    And a different variant...

Attached Files:

4. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013

Sky3.
    Seaview from the Eastcoast...

Spiral.
    Spiralling inside a tower...

2013-08-17_at_14-17-53.
    Temple on one of the last days...

2013-08-17_at_14-23-42.
    Leading lines...

2013-08-17_at_14-39-44.
    Reflections...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    2013-08-17_at_14-40-56.
    Looking up...

I also visited Hong Kong and will be posting those pictures tomorrow.

For now, any comments and criticisms are extremely welcome, along with your favourite image of the set!

Thanks for looking, I had a great time and can thoroughly recommend Taiwan as a holiday destination.

Attached Files:

6. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Fantastic. Great job bud! I don't have any critique for you!

Have a great day :)

Edit: I think the staircase would look great in a good BW treatment.

7. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks F/Stop! I'll give that staircase a whirl in B&W and re-post here!

Which image is your favourite? I can blow one up... Don't know which to pick and I may opt for a Hong Kong shot, but I'll upload those images tomorrow!

8. AZK9lover

AZK9lover Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Stan
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos from your trip. Having lived there and visited again a few years ago, viewing them brings back memories of my former home. As much as I enjoyed all of the shots (great compositon with the architecture pics) the ones that stood out for me are the polygonal staircase and the costal hills shots.

I hope you enjoyed the tasty food there during your travels!

9. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Ahhh you are very lucky to have lived amongst such wonderfully polite people. Thoroughly enjoyed my trip and the food was incredible, especially the sea food and the delicious Din Thai Fung (I think it's spelt), which I visited twice.

Thanks for the feedback! My friend lives there and I've contemplated going to teach there too, as I am a Primary School Teacher in the UK. But there's a lot to give up when leaving your home country, as I'm sure your aware. I hope that you enjoy my Hong Kong pictures as much as you have enjoyed this set, when I upload them tomorrow. Thank you for your detailed feedback.

10. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you for the feedback, which image was your favourite?

Sounds like a great set of lenses for a trip!!! Have a great time!!! I definitely enjoyed lugging lighter equipment round on my travels this year.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wonderful set, thank you for sharing! The 101 and city shots are great, but I enjoyed the coastal shots more. It's not a part of Taiwan you see often.

12. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks! 101 is such an intriguing building to me because of how often you see it, all over the city.

Yeah, I think we were lucky to see the places on the East coast as we used a driver and told her to take us to her favourite places... she definitely outdid herself with the viewpoints and fish that we got to see by the coast.

13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    great set of photos! I also like the spiral staircase, but I personally wouldn't choose it as the picture to blow up. I would probably pick something more environmental, something that evokes fonds memories and reminds you of the good times you had there.

14. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks hazwing!

Yeah, I'll have a think. I'll drop my HK photos tomorrow and then accumulatively, maybe one will stand out to people here.

15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Great photos, the 'reflections' one is my favorite. The only thing i didnt like is the watermark and white borders around, i think they are visually distracting, yet still really great images. Looks like you had awesome fun!

16. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Ahhh the white border has a black border around it, so it's not as bad as long as you can see the black. Both the watermark and border were a result of me buying photoshop and creating a macro to mess around with borders and creating my own brush to creat the watermark. Probably wont do it in future, but it's fun using PhotoShop.

I really like the reflections one too. Thanks for viewing the pics!!!