1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tack sharp 1 second exposure handheld night shot with my OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by toshiro, May 14, 2012.

1. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    the new IBIS on the OMD is amazing, one second exposure handheld :eek::eek::eek:

7194400498_c29131708a_b.
    Untitled on Flickr

• Like Like x 24
  2. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    It really is amazing. I'm consistently getting sharp pictures down to 1/10, which would have been unimaginable with my E-P3. I've even managed to get a sharp hand held 1.3"!!
    Besides, having no second thoughts about using ISO 1600 or 3200 when I would hesitate to go beyond 800 with the E-P3 makes a big difference too.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    That wouldn't be in Santiago would it?

4. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    Yes Nick, it's the Santiago cathedral

5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    outside of Vigo, Spain, right?

6. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    wow... i keep seeing so many of these threads come up about the IBIS. Tripod not needed as much any more lol. I was looking for a light weight tripod for going around town. but now i'm thinking not and saving my money instead for this. But, I still have to get my OLY 45mm before anything else(sold out localy).

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Shot with a $800 lens though (Oly 12mm F2)? I wish I can afford that.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    *covering eyes and ears* La la la la la la la...

I see nothing, I hear nothing. I'm happy with my "PEN" bodies.

• Like Like x 6
  9. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

Handheld, yes
    1 second exposure, yes
    Impressive, yes

Tack Sharp? - No

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For f/10 (diffusion) and ISO 800 (noise), the main cathedral doors and column to their left are tack sharp. I wouldn't expect much different result on a tripod except that you would use ISO 200 and do a 4 second exposure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    Yes, about 55 miles (90km) outside :wink:
    Santiago is a beautiful town, well worth a visit, and the cathedral one of the major pilgrimage places for catholics.

I agree with Amin about the sharpness. A lower F stop and ISO would have made it sharper, but it's still impressive for 1" hand held

12. tonyjuliano

Tack sharp is tack sharp.

Allowing for high ISO and diffusion explains the quality of the results shown, but does not make them tack sharp.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In the context of IBIS discussion, I disagree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tonyjuliano

Then we obviously have different impressions of what "tack-sharp" means.

I viewed the image in question at 100% scale (from the original file posted at Flickr), and while given the shooting conditions, it is impressive, I don't think that any critical observer would classify it as "tack-sharp".

Once again, it's impressive - the IBIS works very well - but let's not go overboard.

15. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    That is very very impressive!!! With the same lens on say a Panasonic GX1 I would imagine hand held would need to be Iso 3200 to get it that sharp. SO add to the fact you have slightly better noise at High ISO with the Olympus anyway, this is one hell of a camera.

I have until September to decide on this. When I see posts like these it makes me want one more and more!!! I have a Samyang 7.5mm fish eye which I love, and I managed some really good ISO3200 London underground shots with the GX1, but to have shots like that which would be even cleaner with a lower ISO and still sharp would be fantastic.

16. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I am mightily impressed. We should start a thread titled IBIS E-M5 Olympics and see who can post the craziest handheld photos samples.

17. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Slooowwly being sucked into the OMD vortex...

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Right then. Can you let it go at that, or do you need to repeat yourself a fourth time?

19. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Im impressed.... Love my PEN, but Im with NED, trying to hold out as long as I can.

20. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    'Tack sharp' is a highly subjective term. When you look closely at a 'tack', you'll soon discover they're not particularly 'sharp'.
    I think it refers to acceptable sharpness when viewed at full-size. To me, that image is quite acceptable in terms of sharpness when viewed full-size. I see a bit if high ISO noise, which counteracts the sharpness but it's not a disturbing grain pattern.
    I would consider this 'tack sharp', I see no motion blur which is the main consideration affecting sharpness on a 1sec exposure and which I think the OP was referring to...

• Like Like x 1