T8 Ring-Flash on a Pen F?

gbealnz

New to Mu-43
Newbie here, albeit not new to the Olympus line. Happy, (very) owner of a Pen F and a couple of lenses. Not even sure if this is the correct thread to attach this to?

I go through an on an off relationship with the original OM system, and acquired a nice Olympus T8 ring-flash unit recently. I love the style and simple wonderfulness of this macro flash system, truly well ahead of it's time.

The question all this is leading up to has possibly been answered a few time. Can I use this "old" flash with my "new" digital Pen (or any other camera for that matter, Fuji X for example)? Obviously it is plug and play with the OM2/3/4 etc, biut I want to use it for digital if possible.

I read a very through and informative article about "converting" to use with the later digital cameras and controllers, but that is well beyond me, and something I don't really want to do. Using it in manual mode is fine, as long as it doesn't do damage.

I have spoken with a few people that have used them, one especially on a Canon 5D, but I am a tad hesitant to "just try it", as frying my Pen electrics is not an option.

Thanks for any and all help.

Gary

Attachments

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
If you're content with manual flash (two supported power levels, two additional un-documented ones) you can use the T-8 with the T Power Control, which you appear to have from the photo.

But if you want full automatic power control, you'll need to do some work, installing a new cable and a trigger coil, so the T-8 will work with the E-System FC-1 flash controller.

gbealnz

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you both, greatly appreciated.
Especially you Byte, it was your very informative article that I read recently, got me thinking, but no. I do not have the skill, nor the balls, to tackle this.
I can and will be content with manual operation.
My main concern is this. If I simply turn everything on, as pictured, and fire the shutter, will it fire or fry?
If fire, then away I will go. If fry, then I will not use it, obviously.
Gary

gbealnz

New to Mu-43
Is it something that Olympus as a company would know, or answer? I must admit to focusing on asking this knowledge base, without even considering asking the actual manufacturer.
Gary

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
You can measure the trigger voltage with an ordinary digital meter. You set the probes to short the metal contact in the groove on the side of the t power control's shoe, and the large centre flash pin. You get your reading when the flash is triggered as you short them. It may or may not make a difference what power setting is on the t power control - I would try all available just in case.

Then you just need to find out the maximum permissible voltage for the PEN F.

The EM1.2 has a PC socket - it may be designed to tolerate higher trigger voltages than the PEN-F.

gbealnz

New to Mu-43
Thank you kbouk, to be honest I've done little to nothing with the T8, my OM film gear is gone (apart from the 100/2.8), and I currently don't even have a macro lens.

I'll sort something out with it in the coming weeks/months.

Appreciate all the help.

Gary

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom