1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

T20 Flash on Olympus Pen

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AdamThirtle, Jan 5, 2012.

1. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Currently looking for a budget external flash for my E-P1 and heard the cheap old T20 was safe to use straight to hot shoe.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and know it is safe.
    Thanks.

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've been using a couple of T32's on my G2. I measured the trigger voltage at about 7v. there are charts on the internet showing the trigger voltage of many old flashes. A google search should find them.

There can be a lot of variance so it's still best to check the voltage yourself. Again, google is your friend.

Fred

Just did a quick search
    Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  4. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    That is a good safe option!

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Tried it. It works. Auto or manual modes are both fine. The T20 and T32 had a very low trigger voltage for its day due to the innovative metering system of the OM2 and later. FWIW, the T20 worked just fine on Nikon and Olympus dslrs too.

You may want to measure the voltage of your sample in case it's faulty. They're getting very old now. The Nissin D466 is good if you want to play safe but not pay Olympus prices.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kristera

Kristera New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2012
    I'm new to this whole flash thing. How would you use the t20 on automatic on a PEN camera?

7. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I found one of my old T32 at the bottom of a drawer, packed in an Olympus soft leather bag as the ones they use to provide with the lenses that didn´t came with a hard case... memories. :rolleyes:

¿Can I use it safely with the OM-D or the EPM-1? What should I check beforehand?