1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

T. Hogan: Sony may be ditching FF

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Locster, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Locster

Locster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2010
    This would be a shame to lose a competitor in the FF market. I've been giving serious consideration to switching out my 5DII to an A850 to use Carl Zeiss lenses. Sigh, gotta wait and see.

--
    Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide

Sony Sensor Shakeup?
    July 26 (commentary)--I've heard from multiple sources now that Sony Semiconductor is about to drop FX sensors from their lineup. What I'm hearing is that high management in Sony is saying that full-frame cameras and sensors aren't bringing the payback necessary to make them long-term profitable. This is essentially forcing Sony Imaging to consider dropping future plans for full-frame cameras (A850, A900, and follow-ups), though I'm sure we'll still see some FF products from them that were already in progress before the stream of sensors dies out...

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Sony is a consumer product company, not a prosumer or pro product company. A decision like this makes sense for them. It also allows them to fully tap development resources into their NEX line of products, which shows some promise. I think it's also a recognition of the fact that a DX-type sensor has sufficient resolution and DR/IQ/ISO potential to satisfy the vast majority, if not all, of their users without trying to chase the 0.5% of users who may actually have a valid business case from a 24MP FF sensor - those users end up going with a Nikon/Canon for the most part, so not much loss there.

I think Sony has been struggling with a serious brand identity problem for some time now, so this may be a sign that they're starting to figure out who they want to be. While this may be a loss to a small monitory of Sony users out there, it may be a huge gain to the photo community at large because it not only allows us to see where the NEX system can go, but it also allows a giant like Nikon to perhaps start fresh with some new sensor technologies and come up with innovative products on their end.

3. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I wouldn't agree there. Only in the DSLR market is Sony not a professional product company. A majority of television studios deploy sony cameras and backline studio gear. With the trend of still and video imaging merging this is surprising to me to hear that Sony would bow out of the pro competition. Sony has always been a huge video contender in the pro market. Just view the trade floor at NAB and you'll see a ton of sony gear.

4. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I agree about their video component, but we're talking about stills cameras here.

5. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

That was kind of my point. The lines between still and video image processing are beginning to go away.

6. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, but you don't need a FF sensor in a video camera, so in Sony's case they're OK ditching their FF sensor line since it's only used in their high-end stills cameras which not enough people buy at that price.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been wondering about the real world usefulness of video in a FF DSLR. Sony and Panasonic are introducing purpose built video cameras that will take the EX and m4/3s line of lenses (respectively), which will give videographers something that they are used to using, as well as the benefits of dedicated video capabilities, much larger sensors and lenses with reduced depth of field.

I always thought that Sony's foray into FF was not going to go well against the likes of Canon/Nikon, who are too well entrenched in the pro world. Olympus was never going to compete directly with them. That's where Olympus and Panasonic saw the advantages of m4/3s and, if the rumuors about a system camera from Olympus are true, provide something quite unique in the DSLR world (until the rest follow/followed suit).

Cheers

Ray

8. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

I just bought a A900, had a 850 and it is just too good a camera not to buy another one....I think Sony developed the FF's more for prestige than as a money maker.

9. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Old thread, but this is a constant topic of discussion over at dyxum.com. It may seem like Sony is going all in with SLT and NEX, but there are a few interviews with higher up Sony Alpha execs that state a new full frame camera is in the works.

10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I heard this rumour at least 6 months ago. It makes sense as Sony simply doesn't have a significant presence in the market, their full-frame lenses are too expensive and pros won't pick them up as they don't have the range of lenses that Canon and Nikon have.

They are good value bodies but the bulk of the price of going to a particular mount is always the lenses.

11. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The Canon 5DII is better than every camera by Sony and Zeiss lenses are available for Canon, too. Why do you want to switch to Sony instead of buying Zeiss lenses for the Camera you already own?

12. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    With Sony all of your Sony-mount Zeiss lenses autofocus and are stabilized by the IBIS. Even if you adapted a manual focus Zeiss lens or a Leica R lens, you would benefit from the IBIS.

But as far as camera bodies go, different horses for different courses. Each system has their advantages and disadvantages, but overall Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. etc. all make fantastic cameras. Same applies to Mac vs PC, Pepsi vs Coke, Chevy vs Ford, etc. :horse: