1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

System Hopping

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DHart, Sep 21, 2013.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It's very interesting to see so many posts by people who left m4/3 for another system and then returned once again (sometimes twice or thrice!) to m4/3.

This seems to happen quite regularly.

Selling gear and then reacquiring it again (especially the exact same gear) can be a fairly costly process. Of course, if the replacement m4/3 bodies and lenses are different, then I guess there isn't too much lost - aside from losses attributable to the acquisition and subsequent sales of the other gear that was tried and given up.

I think one can learn, vicariously, through observing this oft reported phenomenon and possibly save oneself from some time, effort, and expense.

Reading numerous posts by those who have strayed away and then returned to m4/3 has helped keep me steady with my m4/3 gear (system lenses more than anything - as I do tend to move through m4/3 bodies fairly readily), even if I do dabble with other gear (on the side!)... I'm not leaving the m4/3 system. Not yet, anyway.

Then again.... if the RX1 comes out as an RX2, with a built-in EVF, tilting LCD screen, and taking a rapidly growing system of interchangeable lenses... I may have to seriously rethink it all again. :wink:

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I'm one of those gear whores. I hop from one system to another. I have no loyalties. But m4/3 has been the one constant that I have never completely gotten out of. I've owned/own cameras and lenses for the following systems: 4/3, m4/3, Leica M, Sony Alpha, Sony NEX, Pentax K, Fuji X, Nikon 1. But m4/3 has always been there for me ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I left and came back. The GH2 frustrated the heck out of me. The EM5 and the newer lenses brought me back. But. I'm not a fan of the 4/3 ratio. I've tried NEX (no lenses) and currently have a XE1 (quirky) as well as my EM5's. For now the EM5 is the best overall. But if the XPro2 has better AF.........

Gordon

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm a little different - I'm poor, at least compared to a lot of the people here and on dpreview. I honestly don't know how so many people drop three hundred here, a thousand there, so often and so regularly. I'm not criticizing anyone in particular, or anyone at all for that matter. I'm just a little bit baffled at how much $$$ to photography ratio goes on in the consumer camera market now, especially in the higher-end mirrorless dep't.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You know, that's an interesting observation and one that I've pondered myself. I think it's a reflection of disposable income and the fact that enthusiast-level photography is more accessible and (comparatively), more affordable than ever.

I remember my first real camera was a secondhand Pentax Spotmatic II plus 50/1.4 which I bought, with a lot of help from my father, for £95 in 1972. The equivalent price today, adjusted for inflation, would be about £1200/$1900. A reasonable equivalent today would be something like an EM-5 with the 25/1.4, which I reckon would be nearer $1000 in the used marketplace. Add that to the fact that in 1972 most households spent 20-25% of their income on food with a commensurate smaller amount of money for "luxuries". Net, net, cameras were much more expensive.

Not only is it cheaper today, but also so much easier to get high quality output - the EM-5 is spectacular in comparison with my old Spotmatic (but what a wonderful camera it was).

Times change...

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It's definitely true that systems are cheaper by comparison than they used to be, especially in the quick iteration environment of m4/3. Although that quick iteration is just a market response to the rapid purchasing schedule of many if not most m4/3 enthusiasts, I think.

But, to your point of how good the gear is, why do we keep buying cameras if the ones we buy are so capable? Why don't we stay happy longer with our current crop of great cameras?

Disposable income is really fun to spend on gadgets, sure, but aren't we on the tail end of a nasty recession?

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Why hop when you can enjoy several systems at once? While there are those claiming to be M43 exclusive, many here enjoy DSLRs of various flavors, film and assorted mirrorless, including M43. I shoot M43 and EOS pretty equally but just sold off the last of Nikon gear this summer. I wouldn't mind if another system--almost anything but Sony or Samsung--fell into my bag.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm not a fast learner and I find my photography benefits from the stability of a long term committment to one system, in my case :43: and before that Four Thirds. OK I do suffer from the upgrade bug as new cameras become available within that system, but now I have the E-M5 I think that's it for a while. Tempting though the E-M1 may be, long term I think any spare funds would be better directed towards some better/different glass.

9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I used the same camera system (Nikon D700 camera) for 4 years before I started looking at smaller alternatives. I hopped until I found the system that suited me. I think Fuji is that system.

I might stay with Fuji for the time being... I felt comfortable and at home with it similar to how I felt while I was using the D700. I will probably add a GR in the next few weeks as my carry around camera though.

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I dropped Nikons a few years ago when I got a good deal on a 5d but did not like it as much as the Fuji s3 I had. So I bought a used Nikon D90 and a few lenses and then picked up a so called faulty S3 with 50 1.8 d for £25. I was given an E-P1 for passing a bA and its been constant for the last 3+ years, though now I have addoed a G3 to it.
    I doubt I would bother with another mirrorless system as m43 does everything I want it to.Same with DSLR, though would consider a medium format one if priced right. I am of the belief that m43 is the Barnack of the future.

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    For nearly all of my imaging requirements (which are personal at this point, no longer needing to serve commercial clients) I have found m4/3 to be ideally suited.

That hasn't stopped the formation of GAS beyond the bounds of m4/3, however. I do appreciate having the LX5 for those times when it's perfect. And of late find myself augmenting the m4/3 gear with a Ricoh GR and a 17-40 f/4 L landscape lens for use on a residual 5DMkII body. And will likely add the RX1 for sheer large wall print capability from a very compact image making machine. But none of that is "system hopping", as my only system still remains m4/3. I don't see actually replacing my m4/3 system any time soon, though m4/3 bodies certainly come and go. The GX7, EM5, and EP5 bodies will likely stick around in my system for a fair while, though.

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How many of these hops are "a poor carpenter blames the tools"?

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I don't doubt that some peoples' system hopping is indeed in search of different tools when improvement in skills is what is actually needed. The enjoyment of acquiring new gear also adds fuel to that fire.

14. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Can't speak of anyone else but I don't have unlimited disposable income so my quench my thirst GAS by buying smartly. I usually buy used gear and specially look for package deals so that u can get more gear for relatively cheaper price and then only keep items that I need and sell the rest.

I originally started with GH1 with 14-140 then moved to GH2 and then things got more complicated. I moved to OMD, GH3 and E-PM2 (as carry around camera) then got tired of m4/3 and sold everything to move to Sony FF. Selling of m4/3 gear covered that purchase and then I got a good deal on couple lenses. Now since I hear Fuji calling my name I've started selling Sony gear to pick up Fuji X-em1 and have already ordered Ricoh GR as a walk around camera.

I did lose money on system hopping but not much and I consider that loss as the price paid to rent the equipment.

15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    For me none. I am not after IQ much anymore. I just want to try other stuff out there...coz it's fun :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Same here.

On separate note, when do you plan on boosting a Fuji truck? I hear Fuji calling my name.... :p

Sent from LG Phablet.

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Trying out other stuff is a heck of a lot of fun, even if it does nothing to improve one's skills.

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Very few expect a new car to make them a better driver. People are concerned with looks, feel, power, handling, etc. Not quite this extreme for cameras, but some of it is definitely there. If it's a hobby, as it is for many here, then it's being done for pleasure and you can get some of that from new stuff. No moral or even utilitarian judgements here, just noting what seems to happen.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I've posted in another discussion that there are just as many, if not more, people coming into the m4/3 system as there are leaving. So I guess the whole thing is a wash. I guess we notice the people leaving more because they tend to make a big deal out of it?

For me, m4/3 has and will continue to fulfill my photographic requirements. It really does occupy a 'sweet spot' for me. In fact, there's no better time than now to get into the system, with high grade lenses and camera bodies being introduced by Olympus and Panasonic. Exciting times ahead.

• Like Like x 5
  20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2