1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Syncing audio, E-PL1

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Rider, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2010
    On the E-PL1, is the internal audio good enough to sync to external audio source, like a zoom recorder?

2. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

The only time that I have used the E-PL1 Audio to sync video clips, was with the Music video that I produced for my son. While shooting, I was recording the song track through the built-in mic, from an iPod running through a small set of speakers - that Ryan was lip syncing to - - - and then used the peaks on that E-PL1 audio to match up with the full resolution wav audio file that the many short video clips were being matched to. For the most part, I was successful in finding the matching wave pattern - - - and if I had taken more care with the way that the original audio got to the E-PL1, it would have been much better and even easier to sync:

YouTube - Absence of Order : "The End of Things" : Olympus E-PL1

So I'd think that if you were recording with both the E-PL1 and a Zoom recorder at the same time, that you should be able to match the 2 audio tracks after - for accurate enough sync. A definite advantage would be achieved by creating a noise with a sharp spike (like a clapper does) before recording each clip.

-----

3. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks for giving this superb information, nice and superb audio.