1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Switching to Olympic from Canon

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bbarnett51, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    I love my Canon 7D but instead of investing in new lenses I'm going to get an em-10. I'm keeping my canon for bird photography and selling off my other stuff. Then going to use the Oly for pretty much everything rise! Kids, landscape, even wildlife.

I hour I don't regret this but the system seems to have nearly everything I want. After lugging my 7D around today with the kid's...I QUITE.

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Olympic cameras, if you can find them, suck. Go with Olympus. :wink:

I love my E-M 10.

3. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    Gotta love typos...especially in the title!

If Olympic doesn't work out I'll try the Olympus.;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I QUITE agree!

:tongue:

So excited that the fingers didn't quite stop at t.

5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Welcome to the club. You may also find that the Olympus does a good job with Birds.

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    That's kind of how I did it except I made a detour to Pentax along the way (Canon Digital Rebel original -> Pentax K10D -> Olympus E-P3 -> Olympus E-M5).

The original reason behind moving wasn't so much for it's size but because even when I had the original Digital Rebel I some manual focus lens, mainly Tamron Adaptall and such, and went to Pentax because the Pentax-K adapters allowed more functionality thru the adapters (especially the one with the electronic contact to allow auto stop down and metering).

Was doing some research and ended up getting the E-P3 for two reasons:
    - It resembled the Olympus Pen-FT I used to have to some degree.
    - There seemed to be an adapter for just bout everything and I was already using a bunch of manual focus lens (it wasn't until about last year that I got more AF lens aside from the 17/2.8 I got with the E-P3).

:D it wasn't until after I was using it a while that I really started to appreciate it's smaller size and touch screen (the touch screen is why I haven't picked up one of the lower end Pens, kind of hard to ditch).

7. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    Also I simply can't afford fast Canon lenses. The pro series Olympus aren't cheap but they sure are cheaper than L glass. There are also a lot of $200-$500 options that looked very good to me as well.

As for birds, I'll definitely use the OLY some but I've got a 150-500 and I'm going to trade it in on the new Tamron 150-600bc it's very impressive.

8. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I (and my wife) are now fully Olympus after 25 years shooting Canon, last bodies being the 7D. So I understand where you are coming from :). We went out today to try our new 40-150 f/2.8 Pro lenses with the 1.4 TC. Shooting BIF went better that I was expecting. I still need to refine some settings and practice some more, but I think this will work "well enough". Honestly, the Canon body that worked the best for BIF was the 10D. The 30D was OK and for me at least, the 7D never knocked my socks off. Probably operator error more than anything! I know the most common response to this is to keep a FF or APC body and lens for action and low light shooting and Oly for everything else. I do not want to have one foot in each pond so to speak. There are enough plusses to the E-M1 and Pro lenses, that the few minuses are acceptable for me. I think the more you use your Oly gear, the more confident you will be to cut the cord!

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Been there, done that, have shirts. :wink:

The wife and I both sold off all our Canon 35mm stuff (7D, 5DIII, L lenses) last spring and went with E-M1. We used the Panasonic 100-300 last year for wildlife. We got rid of it and a Olympus 40-150 to make room for the 40-150 Pro (killer lens) and 1.4 TC. We will order the 300mm Pro as soon as it is released. A 300mm f4 would be a great lens for birds and the wildlife. In November we do our first M43 safari....can't wait.

When we were at two shoots last year, one for North American Predators and the others for Raptors, all the other photographers had huge bags and backpacks of equipment. Our E-M1 and 3 lens all fit in a Tenba Messenger bag and there was room in the back for our MacBooks. The other photographers had evidently never seen M43 gear and wondered at our "toys". They were amazed at how small and light our kits were. Our E-M1 with the Panasonic 100-300 attached sitting in ballhead on a Feisol tripod weight less that some of the Gitzo tripod legs some were carrying. Since those shoots we have had two photographers to contact us for more info. One had decided to go M43 with an Olympus E-M5. He is waiting for the MarkII version to be released in mid February. We have had several folks in one of our photo clubs also see our equipment and the results....and go M43.

Welcome to M43 photography!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yep, when I had a Canon 300D, and an older film EOS-1, all the lens I wanted for it were easily over a grand. Looking at some of Olympus' own lens most of the 'high grade' ones they make themselves are anywhere between $300 to $900, which covers the 'mid-range' so to speak of the Canon lens.

Plus if Olympus or one of the MFT makers didn't have what you wanted, you could more times than not just adapt what you wanted.

11. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Add me to the "Great Migration" from the Canon 7d. I had all the crop Canon bodies since the beginning and finally had to admit that I'd kind of lost the idea of "photography" and had been consumed by gear. Sold my 7D kit including the 100-400L (with which I could never do BIF reliably anyway), and bought a GX7 with 14-42 II kit lens, added a 45-100, an Oly 9-18 and a P 100-300. Couldn't be happier, I thought.

But today I had the first chance to put my new EM10 to the test. Now I am REALLY happy. This little guy is a real eye-opener, and what a joy to have 2 small bodies for a hike along the shore, today. What amazed me is that the EM10/P100-300 seems to outperform the GX7 match up on the same lens. I do need to tune the exposure on the EM10 as the images seem a little "flat" and over exposed. But they are still better than I was getting with my 7D.

Gary

12. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    @Gary

In terms of tuning the exposure, I been using the same habit I had since I started with a DSLR. Was basically just exposing to the right (meaning putting most of the data to the right of the histogram) where it's just shy of being considered overexposed, but not clipped, which is only useful when you're using RAW and you bring down the white level after the fact to increase the signal to noise ratio, but also allowing me some shadow detail.

I don't have much experience with other systems, but I feel like when raw shooting, Olympus seems to give me a real good dynamic range even without using that 'trick'.

13. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I'm making the switch as well. I shoot a lot of editorial assignments, products, portraits, events, and a good deal of architectural interiors as well. At this point I'm splitting my usage of the Olympus and Canon based on natural light shoots, with Canon getting 90% of all the off-camera lighting work. Reliability with the FL-600r's line of site is sketchy at best and the lack of propriety or third-party solutions is frustrating. That said, I'm actively looking for a reliable lighting solution and once I have it it's sayonara Canon.

14. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I ditched my 700D and lenses for the E-M10 and have never looked back.

I always found the Canon DSLR to be a joyless photographic tool, please note that I'm not knocking the capabilities as a camera; although personally I was underwhelmed with almost everything about the 700D except the articulated touch screen which Canon nailed (the live view focus was comically bad, I mean a completely useless feature).

The E-M10 and lenses have been a joy to use, it's brought back the fun into photography. I also enjoy the comments from others who have an interest in photography about why I'm using an Olympus and how much they like them in the past. I say give them a try, the present is very rosy.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    get the 12-40 and the 75 to start...fill in from there.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Canon pulled me in and treated me very well for almost 10 years - started with the 300D (the first real 'affordable' DSLR, at a pricepoint where the A7 lives today, 11 years on...), bought some L glass, got the 5D mark II new when it came out, and for years happily photographed the bits of the world I was lucky enough to visit with that, F4-ish L zooms from 17 to 400mm and a selection of very nice primes. I still miss the 35/1.4 and the 135/2.0 for the pop and magic, and they were the last two lenses to go, but I found the size penalty could not be overlooked for a 'travel photographer' like myself. The Sony A7r was the final nail in the coffin, giving me the things I enjoyed about full frame with an even better sensor, albeit with its own set of compromises.

The E-M5 (replaced due to theft) and now the E-M1 are better cameras for my style of shooting, and the 2x crop hits a sweet spot in terms of size vs. quality for me. Plus the lenses are excellent; Fuji is the only other real contender, but really only since the XT-1, and I've never really fallen in love with the bodies I've handled in stores or the occasional weirdness of X-trans files for landscape.

For me, the pairing of the E-M1 and the A7r with selected lenses is a match made in heaven.

17. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    I do feel there are some things to note when shooting m4/3 versus Canon APC, notably the 7D. You do not need to expose to the right nearly as much. I was so used to doing that, it took me awhile to realize I was overcooking the whites. Really, the only other things I have to make allowances for vs. my old Canon kit are 1.) Trying to fill the frame in camera more. The full frame file is fine, equal to or better than my old 7D files, but if you crop too much, you loose quality and 2.) Fast moving objects are a little different to shoot vs. Canon. Not necessarily worse, but different. I never was able to afford fast enough Canon lenses to have auto focus with a teleconverter, so I had to manually focus this stuff most of the time. Actually, the 40-150 with TC does pretty darn well, it just takes getting used to the EVF going black and I need to set the picture preview to off. I really feel when the 300f/4 Pro lens gets here I will have EVERYTHING I need is a small, light very well made kit. I don't change things easily, I have been shooting Canon for 25 years, but the Oly gear is just so darn compelling to me that I have happily jumped ship. Now if I can get some of my old investment back selling off my Canon gear, I'll be a very happy camper.

18. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
    I'm using my EM10 mostly these days but there is something about the files out of my 6D. Clean, croppable to the extreme (when needed), and clean :). My son is a competitive dancer and the Oly can't keep up with the FF Canon shooting indoors at 1000 sec at ISO 3200ish. So I'm keeping the Canon for now. Don't want to spend for the 2.8 mft zooms at this point as I'm not sure mft is the long term answer for me. Mirrorless FF may be where I end up.

19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I used Canon dating back to film SLR days. Naturally, when I decided to go digital SLR, I went with Canon. Unfortunately, my Canon lenses (FD and FL) were so old they wouldn't work with the Rebel XT, so I ended up giving the old Canon kit away and started from scratch. Still, after progressing through a T2i to a 7D (a dream camera for me), I ditched it all for Olympus. I was at a late summer cultural festival, it was hot and humid, and I was chasing my son while lugging around a 7D with the EF-S 15-85 lens. Not the heaviest of rigs, but still heavy enough. Then I ran into my friend who had an E-M5 with the 12-50. It looked so small, so jewel-like, and he looked comfortable with such a light load. I was sweating and feeling a bit overloaded. He let me hold his camera. I think the whole thing weighed less than my 15-85 lens, or so it seemed. That was it. When I was at home later, I started looking seriously at the E-M5, and a few months later, I bought it. Sold all my Canon gear, and have never looked back. I'm glad I had the Olympus when I went to Japan and Okinawa in 2013. Such a big difference. And, the IQ is just as good. No regrets.

• Like Like x 1