Switching to Fuji

Peter75

Mu-43 Regular
After using 8 years of Panasonic m43 gear I’m going to switch to Fujifilm X-S10. Early this year I was looking for an upgrade for my loved but also sometimes frustrating G80. I dismissed the G95, expensive for fairly small upgrade, so I really fell in love with G9. I already had one in the basket.

But then, I opened up camerasize.com and was a little bit shocked at the size, having switched to the Pana Leica 12-60 hasn’t helped either of course. 8 years ago I went for mirrorless because of smaller, lighter and hybrid being able to shoot some family movies.

So I researched a bit more and came to the conclusion that the Fujifilm was the way to go for me. First bought a 2nd hand x-t30 with 18-55/2.8-4 to try out, and immediately fell in love with the film simulation, the rendering of the images, the dof, the extra resolution and detail. This kit lens is more than a match for the pana Leica for stills. After a few weeks sold the x-t30 (with profit) and my 25/1.4 an 15/1.7 , kept the 18-55 2.8-4 OIS and bought today a new x-s10, and a Samyang 12/2 for wide angle fun. choose the x-s10 because it is really small, very nice handgrip and ibis, and the autofocus of the flagship x-t4.

In m43 I shot mostly 3:2 or 16:9 (and the 4:3 raw), which left me 14 or 12mp, now with Fujifilm 26mp or 22mp. That step is quite huge.

As you lay it out it makes perfect sense, particularly when doing size comparisons.
It's possible to stay smallish and light with Fuji for example with the 18-55mm as mentioned, with the pancakes and with the f/2 primes.
It's also possible to go quite boofy....my kit includes the 50-140 the 10-24 and the 80 macro.
So when I included some M43 gear my aim was to keep it smallish and light.....GX85, Pana 14, PL25 and Pana 35-100 f/4-5.6.
I love M3 and also Fuji and can't see myself sacrificing either system.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I should add that at the end of 2019 I had my E-M1.2, an X-E3, and an X70. Had the X-S10 and 70-300 been available at the time I'm not sure which way I might have gone. Probably still Olympus m4/3. One option with the Pen F is to set the exposure comp dial to flash comp. Yes it means the dial isn't really all that useful for me. But it also means the handling; dials, button customization, etc; between the two are VERY similar. Something that would not be the case with the X-E3, X-S10, or X70.

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Larry
I think fujifilm is the only one that takes serious of aps-c cameras. if I were to buy a APSC, I would buy one of them.

Peter75

Mu-43 Regular
I should add that at the end of 2019 I had my E-M1.2, an X-E3, and an X70. Had the X-S10 and 70-300 been available at the time I'm not sure which way I might have gone. Probably still Olympus m4/3. One option with the Pen F is to set the exposure comp dial to flash comp. Yes it means the dial isn't really all that useful for me. But it also means the handling; dials, button customization, etc; between the two are VERY similar. Something that would not be the case with the X-E3, X-S10, or X70.
For me the X-S10 feels like the G80 but then even better suited to me. Really like the focus-stick for single af-point. The buttons are better placed. Older/Other Fuji bodies had a af-s/af-c/m switch on the front, that is one I only slightly miss. But it’s in the q menu, so no problem. For me the handling is much better. 18-55 balances really well and an amazing piece of glass. Very sharp, contrasty and nice rendering. One thing I’m going to miss is the 100-300 II reach...

Also like how the free Capture One Express for Fujifilm works. It has enough features for me, and much better for my workflow then Silkypix. I use Affinity Photo for rw2 raw conversion.

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
Peter,

I would be interested in an update. I actually ordered the X-S10 with the 16-80 f4 lens kit, but it got waylaid before getting here (long story) and I now have to consider whether to order again.

My main concerns are the telephoto loss and adjustments to reduced depth of field. The DOF seems easier to accommodate by reducing the aperture.

Any reflections and updates would be welcome.

Elliot

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Peter,

I would be interested in an update. I actually ordered the X-S10 with the 16-80 f4 lens kit, but it got waylaid before getting here (long story) and I now have to consider whether to order again.

My main concerns are the telephoto loss and adjustments to reduced depth of field. The DOF seems easier to accommodate by reducing the aperture.

Elliot
Fuji's new 70-300mm zoom is an excellent pairing with the 16-80mm. That's an effective 450mm field of view at the long end without cropping. No, it's not the 800mm FOV that the 100-400mm lenses will get you with u43. But it's a lot less money than that lens and it's probably optically superior to the Panny 100-300 and definitely optically superior (by a long shot) to the Oly 70-300.

MacBook

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Elliot
Fuji's new 70-300mm zoom is an excellent pairing with the 16-80mm. That's an effective 450mm field of view at the long end without cropping. No, it's not the 800mm FOV that the 100-400mm lenses will get you with u43. But it's a lot less money than that lens and it's probably optically superior to the Panny 100-300 and definitely optically superior (by a long shot) to the Oly 70-300.
Thanks. Do you have this combination?

Real Name
Phill

While I'm not Peter, I can relate my recent experience with the X100V, which has a 23mm (~35mm equiv.) f2.0 lens. The difference in DoF compared to my f1.8 MFT primes is actually bigger than I thought. It takes some time getting used to, I often find myself stopping down the X100V quite a bit and often use it around f4 to f5.6 for close-up shots, where I would've shot my MFT primes rather around f2.8 - not because the lens is too soft wide open, it is not, but DoF simply gets too shallow for my taste.
On pictures where I want to a good amount of DoF, like landscapes, I often used f4-5.6 on my MFT lenses, I've found on the Fuji you have to stop down quite a bit further, rather f6.3 to f8.

It simply takes some time getting used to and learning the new camera and lens combo, especially when you've shot MFT for many years.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom