1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Switching from Lightroom 4.3 to Capture One (C1) Pro v7

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Seems like a million years ago that I was using C1 Pro with a Canon 5D. Eventually I made the move to Lightroom with LR v3 mainly because LR results were close to as good, and LR has the ability to catolog files as well as edit them. LR took another jump forward with v4, which has unmatched highlight recovery.

However a brief trial of C1 Pro v7.01 has convinced me that the latest version of C1 gives me better results than the latest version of Lightroom 4.3. Certainly the "out of the box" (default) results are more pleasing as shown below:

8277716548_af5881dd9f_o.

8277716672_33a3d97d17_o.

Has anyone else made this switch?

2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    I have not made the switch yet but recently noticed that images I converted in C1 a few years ago (before I witched to LR for the cataloging capability) have more detail and seem sharper than the images converted in LR3 & 4.

I will download C1 and give it a (re-)try in the coming holidays. Thanks for the heads up Amin.

3. What camera is that from, Amin? Those reds on the Lightroom example seem awfully over-saturated for a default raw profile.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    E-PM2, Nic. I've tried files from E-M5, GH2, GF3, etc - all of them tend to look better "out of the box" in C1. LR has the ability to extract that last 1% of highlight detail, but C1 gives me better looking results overall.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Another comparison of the results from both converters at their default settings, resized on top with 100% crops below. This time I used an E-M5 file:

8277105837_d87a85b234_o.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This time I used "Auto Tone" in LR and "Auto Adjust" in C1:

8278222688_7ebf5fdec0_o.

7. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    And how do these outofthe box raw converions compare to the ooc (em5) jpgs?

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Looks like C1 kicks up the mid-range contrast and sharpens much better.

9. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Amin,

gotta say the examples you posted definitely support your thinking.

Rick

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes and yes, plus the default noise reduction is higher and the overall brightness is lower. All of this can be emulated in Lightroom, but I like the C1 defaults better and have a hard time getting the LR results to look consistently as good.

11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    You know that changing the LR default is super-easy, right? And free? Tweak the noise & sharpening settings, a touch of Clarity, save as preset and make it the default import preset. No need to pay $299 unless you also want C1 for other things LR can't give you.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, I just can't find exactly what settings to use in LR to get that C1 look.

13. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I decided to run some tests out of curiosity...

GX1 with the lumix 25mm lens, comparing two images, OOC JPeg (with some tweaks), Lightroom Raw using Adobe Profile, Lightroom Raw using a gx1 profile I downloaded from Landscape Photography and Fine Art Photography by Robin Whalley, and the default settings using Capture One Pro v7.

OOC Jpeg GX1 (Vivid, Contrast -2, Sharpness +2, Saturation -2, NR -2):
    P1060968_OOC_JPG_zpse24fed7e.

Light Room Raw Adobe Profile:
    P1060968_LR_Adobe_zps417c893a.

Light Room Lenscraft GX1 profile:
    P1060968_LR_SS_zpsfaa08f55.

Capture One Pro v7 default settings:
    P1060968_C07_zps064f1658.

My personal preference looking at the results is Capture Pro 7, followed by OOC JPEG, followed by the GX1 "lenscraft" profile, followed by Adobe default profile.

What do you guys think?

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Capture 1 came with my camera. Many online were claiming that C1 does produce a better image but the differences are subtle.

My only big number one problem.... The interface sucks and there is no management.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Which version of C1 was that?

16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    In general I've noticed that the Lightroom defaults have a particular knack for making every photo ugly. (Though it seems to do okay with skin tones.) Trouble is I haven't found a mix of defaults either, so I'm going through my photos and dialing in different settings for each and every one. It's not a very nice workflow, but I don't know what to do about it. The organizational component of Lightroom is a big deal for me, and my Adobe subscription means I'm not really willing to buy other software.

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    and how does capture one do the whole management thing?

havent looked at it for a while but seem to recall it kinda opted out of that.. correct me if I am wrong

seriously believe that LR/AP/C1 all can achieve the same result.. none of them have a magic formula... its just pixels and numbers

I am staying happy with Aperture

K

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    seriously cant see a difference
    :)

second look... the oocjpeg wins
    K

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It does it - I'm still learning the how part. Was an earlier version that opted out.

Probably true, but I've been using LR for years and seem to be able to get better results with C1. I don't doubt that someone else could get those results in LR, but that doesn't help me!

20. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    :biggrin: