1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Switched off the touch screen on my G5!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidedric, Jan 27, 2014.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Why? Well, mostly because I was fed up with re-setting the focus point with my nose. Coming from an slr background I usually focus and re-compose, and I don't shoot video. I know I could have just cancelled that feature, but having set up the camera following (more or less) this approach:

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/setting-up-panasonic-lumix-g5-camera.html

I have:

f1 set to Focus Mode
    f2 set to Metering Mode
    f3 set to Enable/Disable the electronic shutter
    Lever set to Exp. Comp.
    Four way switch gives me: WB, Exposure Mode, ISO, AF Mode

That gives me just about all I need when capturing with a single button press.

What am I missing?

Dave

2. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    You can set the EVF/LCD to automatically determine if you are using the LCD or brought the EVF up to your eye. It's in the custom settings - eye sensor - set to on. Is that what you were looking for?

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    If the pressure from your nose on the LCD screen was an issue when looking through the EVF then you probably need to switch off the 'Touch Tab' setting which enables you to move the focus points by touching the (blacked out) inactive LCD whilst looking through the EVF
    Switch off the Touch Tab in Custom / Touch Settings and you can then still use the LCD screen for menu settings and adjustments etc without activating the focus points with your nose when you look through the EVF and you can still revert to using the screen for touch focussing when you just want to use the LCD screen (when not looking through the EVF)
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Thanks for the response, especially robstar's detail. What I was thinking though is that the use of the touch screen to change focus points is really the only use I have for the touch screen - all the other settings I regularly use I can get to as easily with buttons. I also have a bit of a problem with fat finger syndrome. So if I disable the focus point setting I might as well disable the whole thing.

As an aside, I believe the G6 has a capacitative screen, which I think I would really struggle with if any slight touch can change settings.

5. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Dave, I'm right with ya. I have two G5's, I love the camera but it took me several weeks of frustration to realize I was inadvertently moving the focus point all over the place. I didn't turn the touch screen off but I did disable touch AF and touch pad AF (I left touch tab on). That seems to be enough to keep me out of trouble while still giving me access to quite a few features using the touch pad.

6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I turned of touchscreen on PM2 the first week I got it and never looked back. IMO it does NOT have a touchscreen. I hate touchscreens. My Blackberry has it and I might have to download an app to turn it off!