Switch from EM5 to XE1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Starred, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I have an EM5 with 20/1.7, 45/1.8, 9-18, 14-150 and 100-300 (dont use this one very much) lenses.
    I like the set, but what I really want is a set of fast zooms of good quality (like zooms more than primes), and 1 or 2 primes for special occasions. So I was thinking about investing in the 12-35 and in a few months also buy the 35-100. However, those 2 lenses are quite expensive...

And now that the Fuji XE1 is coming, I am sometimes thinking it could be wiser to switch to the Fuji X system instead of investing in the Pana zooms, because the XE1:
    -seems to improve significantly on the quircks of the X-Pro1 while it will have the same impressive sensor;
    -will be bundled with a seemingly hq kitzoom (for an attractive price);
    -a couple of interesting other zooms, and primes on the horizon.

Would you make the switch, and why?

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I read on another thread elsewhere that there are issues with the XE1 viewfinder - freezing or lag or something - cant recall exactly but it was cause enough for the poster of the thread to abandon thoughts of buying the XE1 if I remember correctly ?
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Thx, I missed that one

4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I have a similar OM-D kit already. I did order the XE1 with the kit zoom and the 35/1.4 as a small 2nd kit.

I also like zooms and you make a good point on the speed/price of the Fuji zooms. It will be interesting to see how Fuji's system and the XE1 in particular turn out, especially if the 2013 zooms don't suck and sell for a good price. It would help even more if good RAW processing tools come out soon.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I have handled quite a few cameras and rececntly own OMD with some exellent primes . Fuji seems to be nice but after having a look at camera and its output , I wont buy it as it doesnt offer anything what OMD doesnt offer and it OMD offers so many things which Fuji dosnt offer . Now after handling the X PRO1 and looking at image sample , Fuji colors are not for me. Olympus is more vibrant , punchy and pleasing . I love looks of XE1 , I liked how X PRO 1 feels in hands but I will think twice before swapping my OMD for anything else . Now as far as IQ debate goes , thats over now .OMD is up there not only with XPRO1 but even FF cameras . Now its upto you to decide .. IMHO again I dont see any advantage of XE1 over OMD at all . Now guys this is not Fuji bashing , its my personal opinion so please hold ur guns..:rofl::rofl:.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 2
  6. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I own both and I much prefer shooting with the XPro1, it just inspires me to shoot, not that the OMD is incapable, it just feels odd and uninviting, this is only my opinion, I could survive with either one but if I have to choose the Fuji stays.

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Well, you asked so I'll respond honestly... No, I would not make the switch, and I think you're being silly :smile:

You say you want a couple of fast zooms and some nice primes for special occasions. You already have two fantastic primes in the Lumix 20/f1.7 and m.ZD 45/f1.8 and Panasonic has just released two fantastic fast zooms. Fuji has just released a medium-fast standard zoom (only 27mm equ. on the wide-end and f4 on the long-end) but has no fast tele zoom and there isn't one on the roadmap. If you want a long zoom it'll be a f3.5-4.8 and it won't be out till 2013. Going wide? You already have the very good m.ZD 9-18mm. Want to have a nice f4 UWA like the upcoming Fuji 10-24mm? Get the very, very good Lumix 7-14mm...

Fujifilm confirms XF14mm F2.8 and XF18-55mm F2.8-4 with X-mount roadmap: Digital Photography Review

Between Olympus and Panasonic, Micro Four Thirds either matches or exceeds all of the Fuji primes. Want the Fuji 35/f1.4? Get a PL 25/f1.4. Want the Fuji 60/f2.4 Macro? Get the PL 45/f2.8 or m.ZD 60/f2.8. Want the Fuji 18/f2? Get the m.ZD 12/f2 or Lumix 14/f2.5. Want the upcoming Fuji 23/f1.7? Get the upcoming m.ZD 17/f1.8. And then there's the MFT primes that simply aren't available for Fuji (nor are they on the roadmap) - both the CV Nokton's, the m.ZD 75/f1.8 and the upcoming Lumix 43/f1.2 and 150/f2.8.

In terms of bodies... Ergonomically, it's your call - some will prefer the Fuji, some the Olympus. IQ? Bloody close. The Fuji will be better under most conditions but will you see it? I doubt it - both have very good sensors and very good jpeg engines if that's your thing... Features? Oly. Speed? Oly. Sealing? Oly. Articulated screen? Oly. Customisation? Oly... You get the picture.

My point? I would think very seriously about why you want the Fuji, and whether there are valid reasons or if you're just being tempted by that sexy RF body and shutter dial...

• Like Like x 3
  8. I am almost tempted by the idea of the X-E1 as a no-frills, knob-and-dials, high IQ camera that I can use in a slower, more traditional manner, and that does it in a package that is smaller and cheaper than the X-Pro1. It has also occurred to me though, that if I want I could also use the E-M5 as a no-frills, knobs-and-dials, high IQ camera that I can use in a slower, more traditional manner when I want to, and save myself $1400-1500. Damn logic, huh?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have one of the best well-rounded small ILCs on the market. The grass always looks greener on the other side! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Very wise words, thanks.
    The 'problems' I am still worried about is that the 12-35 2.8 has some (minor) issues in combination with Oly bodies and its relatively high price: the Pana lens alone is €1100 while the XE1+18-55 is €1300....

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You shouldn't buy the XE-1 because of some perceived "problems" with the combination of the OMD and 12-35 IMHO, if that's the range you want and you fundamentally like the OMD. You should get the XE1 if it moves you, you want it, and you can afford it. The Fuji and Olympus files are very different, the cameras are very different in operation. Both are absolutely GREAT IMHO (I have the OMD and X-Pro) and there are all kinds of good reasons to choose either, or both. But it mostly comes down to those subconscious parts of a buying decision around something we're going to use and enjoy for a while (as opposed to, say, a toaster or a flashlight, which is more of a utility item and has very little if any passion associated with using them).

I've been through it with bikes and cameras and guitars and its all about whether a particular product "speaks" to you and only you can know that. Almost all cameras of a reasonable level today are really really really GOOD, but some just appeal to each of us more than others. THAT'S what you should get. All the rest is just rationalization... Its easy to talk ourselves into or out of ANYTHING but that seldom has anything to do with our actual decisions. Within the confines of your wallet, just go with your gut - that's what you're ultimately doing anyway, even if by more circuitous means...

-Ray

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Does it not strike anybody else odd that photographs have not been discussed at all in this thread?

What kind of photos is the OP taking or indeed wishing to take?.. Why isn't he getting the images he wants from the equipment he has? Is that a limitation of the camera or the photographer?

He has a very good camera and a fine selection of lenses.... switching camera platforms isn't going to make him a better photographer

K

• Like Like x 4
  13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You said you hardly use the 100-300, and don't like primes. Well... sell those lenses and buy the Panny x 12-35.

14. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I noticed that 9 out of 10 times I shoot in the 12-50 range, and I really prefer a zoom above 3 primes. But I need a fast zoom, hence the 12-35/2.8

But this also triggered my thinking: what if the fuji 18-55 will be as good as or even better than the 12-35..and the same for the xe1 compared to the EM5, then the xe1/18-55 kit will be a real bargain?

15. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    I do like the primes, they have great qualities and we all need them sometimes. What I mean is that most of the time I really prefer a fastzoom instead of 2-3 primes

16. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010

Do you have a good sample which shows these specific differences?

17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    you still haven't defined why you 'need' a fast zoom.... is it for shallower DOF or shooting in low light.

the fuji seems to offer only a half stop at the wider end to maybe one stop at the long end advantage over your current 14-150.

the 12-35 seems to offer a one stop advantage over the 14-150 at the wide end and a couple of stops at the longer end.

Given the better high ISO and the improved IBIS in the OMD I am still at a loss to see where you think you will be getting a real world advantage. Personally I find the OLY 12-50 a great little lens - despite its apparently bad 'on paper' spec

I am just playing devils advocate here

K

18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    buy the X-E1 with the kit zoom and then when you realize that it takes more or less the same photos that your OMD takes and the user interface is not to your liking sell it to me at a 20% depreciation:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Luke ...I can give 4%discount and will buy at 19% depreciation . So OP has two buyers lined up already ..hahhahha
    cheers