1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

sweep panorama m43 camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tilman Paulin, May 12, 2014.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I'm having a play with panoramas lately and am looking for the most intuitive way to create them.

So far I'm taking single photos and stitch them in Photoshop, which works fine.
    I find it hard though to pre-visualize the result while taking the photos. (e.g. quickly trying different angles, viewpoints, etc.)

On yesterdays photo outing I used my smartphone's sweep panorama to do some test panoramas, until I found the composition I liked best. Then I took the usual succession of stills, trying to duplicate that composition.
    This worked to some degree and with some more practice I'll probably get better.

I was wondering though, are there some m43 cameras that do a good in-camera panorama? (my phones panorama quality is horrible).

cheers,
    Tilman

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    The Lumix GX7 has a decent sweep-type panorama feature, though I haven't used it very much to date, this example was shot with the 14-42 kit lens and straightened a bit in LR

11765770396_54cdfe8725_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Power Plant: Pano by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

I became interested in stitched panos using an iPhone app called Autostitch, since then I've been playing around with the desktop version stitching my GX7 shots:

12166029464_48285542ed_b.jpg

Engine Control Room by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thanks for the link to Autostitch! That looks like an interesting option in case I don't go for in-camera panos...

4. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I've also used Autostitch on my iPad, and have had good success with it.

ImageUploadedByMu-431399952258.829611.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hugin is free and awesome if you go for an out of camera option

• Like Like x 1
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree hugin can do a good job, but interface is a little clunky and not that intuitive to use. I use hugin because it's free and works with mac

• Like Like x 1
  7. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I like PTGUI myself, works really well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Any more ideas about cameras with good in-camera-panos?

The reason why I'm looking for in-camera-options, is that with the "computer-based" stitching I don't know until I'm back home if the composition I was going for worked or didn't work.

With in-camera-panos it's easy enough to try a few different angles, and then decide which one works best compositionally (e.g. a lower cameraposition with more ground in frame?, or angling the camera up a bit?, etc.)

What might be ideal is if the camera did in-camera stitching, but also saved the single shots? (so you could stitch them yourself on your computer in case the camera-stitching didn't quite work)
    Do any of the cameras do that?

9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Pretty sure the GX7 won't save individual components of a sweep pano.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.