1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

sweep panorama m43 camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Tilman Paulin, May 12, 2014.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm having a play with panoramas lately and am looking for the most intuitive way to create them.

So far I'm taking single photos and stitch them in Photoshop, which works fine.
    I find it hard though to pre-visualize the result while taking the photos. (e.g. quickly trying different angles, viewpoints, etc.)

On yesterdays photo outing I used my smartphone's sweep panorama to do some test panoramas, until I found the composition I liked best. Then I took the usual succession of stills, trying to duplicate that composition.
    This worked to some degree and with some more practice I'll probably get better.

I was wondering though, are there some m43 cameras that do a good in-camera panorama? (my phones panorama quality is horrible).

cheers,
    Tilman

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    The Lumix GX7 has a decent sweep-type panorama feature, though I haven't used it very much to date, this example was shot with the 14-42 kit lens and straightened a bit in LR

11765770396_54cdfe8725_b.
    Power Plant: Pano by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

I became interested in stitched panos using an iPhone app called Autostitch, since then I've been playing around with the desktop version stitching my GX7 shots:

12166029464_48285542ed_b.
    Engine Control Room by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for the link to Autostitch! That looks like an interesting option in case I don't go for in-camera panos...

4. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I've also used Autostitch on my iPad, and have had good success with it.

ImageUploadedByMu-431399952258.829611.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hugin is free and awesome if you go for an out of camera option

• Like Like x 1
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree hugin can do a good job, but interface is a little clunky and not that intuitive to use. I use hugin because it's free and works with mac

• Like Like x 1
  7. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I like PTGUI myself, works really well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Any more ideas about cameras with good in-camera-panos?

The reason why I'm looking for in-camera-options, is that with the "computer-based" stitching I don't know until I'm back home if the composition I was going for worked or didn't work.

With in-camera-panos it's easy enough to try a few different angles, and then decide which one works best compositionally (e.g. a lower cameraposition with more ground in frame?, or angling the camera up a bit?, etc.)

What might be ideal is if the camera did in-camera stitching, but also saved the single shots? (so you could stitch them yourself on your computer in case the camera-stitching didn't quite work)
    Do any of the cameras do that?

9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Pretty sure the GX7 won't save individual components of a sweep pano.

• Like Like x 1