sweep panorama m43 camera?

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm having a play with panoramas lately and am looking for the most intuitive way to create them.

So far I'm taking single photos and stitch them in Photoshop, which works fine.
I find it hard though to pre-visualize the result while taking the photos. (e.g. quickly trying different angles, viewpoints, etc.)

On yesterdays photo outing I used my smartphone's sweep panorama to do some test panoramas, until I found the composition I liked best. Then I took the usual succession of stills, trying to duplicate that composition.
This worked to some degree and with some more practice I'll probably get better.

I was wondering though, are there some m43 cameras that do a good in-camera panorama? (my phones panorama quality is horrible).

cheers,
Tilman

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Lumix GX7 has a decent sweep-type panorama feature, though I haven't used it very much to date, this example was shot with the 14-42 kit lens and straightened a bit in LR

11765770396_54cdfe8725_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Power Plant: Pano by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

I became interested in stitched panos using an iPhone app called Autostitch, since then I've been playing around with the desktop version stitching my GX7 shots:

12166029464_48285542ed_b.jpg

Engine Control Room by lewisfrancis, on Flickr

cmpatti

Mu-43 Veteran
I've also used Autostitch on my iPad, and have had good success with it.

ImageUploadedByMu-431399952258.829611.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree hugin can do a good job, but interface is a little clunky and not that intuitive to use. I use hugin because it's free and works with mac

Real Name
Marc Sitkin
I like PTGUI myself, works really well.

p1504579862-5.jpg

p1491993046-5.jpg

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Any more ideas about cameras with good in-camera-panos?

The reason why I'm looking for in-camera-options, is that with the "computer-based" stitching I don't know until I'm back home if the composition I was going for worked or didn't work.

With in-camera-panos it's easy enough to try a few different angles, and then decide which one works best compositionally (e.g. a lower cameraposition with more ground in frame?, or angling the camera up a bit?, etc.)

What might be ideal is if the camera did in-camera stitching, but also saved the single shots? (so you could stitch them yourself on your computer in case the camera-stitching didn't quite work)
Do any of the cameras do that?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom