1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

SWD or non-SWD 50-200?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mattia, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    While I (impatiently) wait for local dealers to start stocking the E-M1, I'm looking around for a higher quality replacement for the 100-300 that was stolen alongside the E-M5.

I don't shoot telephoto very often, but when I do, it's generally wildlife or compressed landscapes. So not things that require particularly great tracking, but it can't hurt. I liked my copy of the 100-300 quite a bit, but I'd rather have a bit more weight, better sharpness and the option of adding a teleconverter. Question for me is whether the SWD version of the 43 50-200 is worth the upcharge over a non-SWD version for an E-M1. Anyone have any experience or ideas on the matter? I have ample experience with the 100-400L on my canon, if that helps with speed comparisons..

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Since I don't have the non-SWD version of the 50-200 Zuiko lens, I cannot tell you the difference from personal experience, but as far as I know, IQ of the two lenses are identical. The only difference is in the AF speed and AF noise. As far as how those apply to the E-M1, I think this video by Robin Wong might give you some idea of how each perform with the camera:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2k8flFM9xE

Hope this help you decide...

3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    4/3 50-200 non swd

i have the 4/3 50-200 non swd and use it only in manual focus mode on the EM5. auto focus does not work well on EM5, lots of misses with hunt and seeking. the lens is sharp and when combined with the 1.4 extender is very nice. the 2x extender needs real good light for max resolution. if your subject is static then i think the non-swd would work. you may have to wait until the EM1 hits the street and more 4/3 users with the 50-200 can report results with the combo. I am not planning an upgrade at this point in time.
    frank

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
  5. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The 50-200 has significantly better IQ than the 75-300II (which is supposed to be a bit better than the 100-300), without the tele converter, ie just cropping to match. These two images were shot a few moments apart:

Screen_shot_2013-10-15_at_10_08_17_AM.

75-300 II @300, f6.7 1/50 ISO 1600 ------------------------------------------------------------ 50-200 @200, f3.5 1/200 ISO 1600
    Both shot with the E-M5.

I was frustrated enough with the AF of the 50-200 that I was contemplating a 75-300II, but the lower IQ even cropped convinced me not to.

Attached Files:

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    The SWD has mechanically linked MF, the non SWD is by wire. Optically the same. Some have reported SWD motors breaking eventually using EM5.

7. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    And one with the 1.4TC - ie 50-200 @283mm f4.9 1/1250

PA130255.

Attached Files:

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    People have reported SWD motors breaking with 4/3s cameras and then have reported worrying about motors breaking while using the E-M5 because of the (apparent) extra strain CDAF puts on a PDAF motor . But after scouring the internet, I've never seen any actual report of the SWD motor failing with an E-M5.

9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This seems to be legitimate a concern. The C-AF tracking mode with the E-M1 creates the same lens motion as S-AF with the E-M5, ie there is noticeable racking back and forth as the focus adjusts (which makes sense).

I have the 12-60 as well and I likely won't use it in C-AF tracking mode much as a result. Using it in S-AF mode with the E-M1 means there is one direct lens motion to the point of focus, and that's it. I would assume this puts less load on the motors.

10. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I own the non SWD version and the IQ is excellent. I can also tell you that with my OM-D EM5, I have fallen in love with legacy, manual prime lenses of all brands. Manual focus and F-stop aren't really an issue for what I shoot. The 10x magnification focus assist allows you to absolutely nail the focus and added IS on wildlife allows you to get photos so sharp you can accidentally cut yourself :)

11. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Oh, I've seen it on this site. I forget his handle, but it's the guy Dh******.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Mine did.

But I suspect this be a non-issue with the E-M1 which uses PDAF. Meanwhile, the tests I've seen suggest the E-M1's AF is quite a bit faster with the SWD version of the lens.

13. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Interesting. I say that the regular one is plenty fast. Given that the tracking was working well enough for lacrosse I am pretty pleased.

14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Gotcha. I had remembered that wrong. But I have to say...I can understand why you'd view the E-M5 as the fault, but I think the bigger (or more likely) fault could very well be a shoddy repair job in the first place. 18 months between repairs would raise red flags in my mind.