1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Swapping lens in open environment, dangerous or OK?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stevendotwang, Apr 25, 2011.

1. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    I have a GF2 with 20mm and 14-42mm panny lenses, I find myself wanting to swap the lenses from time to time while outside shooting. When I do decide to swap, I try to avoid windy or dusty situations.

My question is - how often do you guys swap lenses outside in an open environment and how worried are you with your dust-free lens/sensor?

If you have methods to prevent dust and dirt from getting inside the system, could you kindly share them.

Thanks!
    Steven

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I'm new at interchangeable lenses myself, but I find myself swapping lenses outside pretty frequently. Here is what I do.
    First I have the new lens out and ready, with both caps on, lens side down on a flat surface.
    Then take the lens off the body. Quickly unscrew the cap off the new lens and immediately put it on the old lens.
    Then put the new lens on the body. Then pack the old lens into its bag.

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It is not a big deal, I do it all the time. If you are worry, just put your back to the direction the wind comes from. And always have the camera facing down when swapping lenses.

4. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    Good call on the facing camera downward, I remember someone telling me that before but I've yet to practice it. Darn. Will be more careful now.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But then you have to face the back of the lens up before mounting it, pushing the dirt on the lens in the camera.

I just stand with my back to the wind and switch lenses as smoothly as possible.

6. Yeah, just watch the wind direction and try to do it smoothly and quickly without clunking the lens against the mount. I remember being told that leaving the camera on whilst changing lenses means the sensor is statically charged and can attract dust. Don't know if that is true or not but it's a good idea with m4/3 and 4/3 cameras anyway to return the lens to infinity focus which for some makes them more compact for storage. I've never been too precious about changing lenses and have not suffered too many dust-on-sensor problems because of it.

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Steven I swap between the 25/f1.4 and 12-60 f2.8 Oly SWD (Fav. Lenses)
    outdoors on Photo shoots.

Do it quickly and you'll be fine, accept you may get the Odd dust speck with use (I have) and I have cleaned the sensor with the best cleaner(s)
    Cleaning does work

Keep body minus lens pointed downwards and insert lens same, avoid upward pointing of the body

Avoid dusty conditions or sea spray (Obviously)