Swapping E-P5 <---> E-M10.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Johbremat, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Who swapped their E-P5 for an E-M10?

Who swapped their E-M10 for an E-P5?

Why so?
  2. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    I sold my E- M5 ...didn't like the handling......moved onto E -P5 while i loved the look (not toy camerish...like e m5) sorry my opinion, still wasn't keen on handling and if it wasn't for the amount of blurry oof shots i was getting i would have still owned it...better than e-m5 any day! Moved to sony nex 7..Anyway i moved back to E- M10 after missing all the wonderful glass M4/3 has to offer....Alas...still wasnt happy with handling and after playing with GX7 in shop i wasnt keen on the feel of that either....Full circle back to sony a6000 much nicer camera in hand and output is superb!..GODDAM SHAME they dont have many great lenses (cheap anyway) always a trade off
    Bloody GAS .:dash2: Just realised all the money i have lost buying and selling i could have purchased GH4 or E M1 and done away with all Fleabay stresses and pitfalls!
  3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Just bought an EM10 and delighted with it (swapped from EM5)
    The very inexpensive Olympus ECG1 is very very highly recommended for improved handling
    For me the grip is much better than the HLD6 for the EM5 IMO as it is a plain grip with no additional buttons or dials and maintains the use of the original controls on the camera itself
    Am going to update my other thread this week with my findings re the EM10 which is better than the EM5 IMO
    As with the EM5 you can use the camera with or without the grip for handling or compactness according to your needs on the day
    The grip is very well designed and has a quick release which enables battery and SD crd to be angled in moments
  4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I went from EM5 to EP5 and now EM10. Loved the EM5 but really never loved some of the mushy buttons and actually preferred the "range finder" look of the EP5, so went to that. But after updating my XZ-2 to the Stylus 1 I discovered that I liked having an EVF around all the time (my "excuse" with the EP5 was that I could mount the EVF whenever I wanted) so I sold it and got the EM10. Very happy now with the overall feel of the camera, the EVF, the way the controls are laid out and the IQ.
  5. MuBear

MuBear Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2014
    Costa Rica
    Hi Swandy,

Looking at the EM10s image thread, I notice an improved IQ in the pictures over the EM5, in just about every picture. Can you tell me more about your experience? I am between getting an EM5 or EM10. I have been leaning towards the EM5 because of the weather sealing but I don't want to compromise IQ.
  6. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Is it safe to say that the E-M1 is not even a consideration anymore with the E-M10 out?
  7. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I had a EM5 and grip, traded it for an EP5, sold EP5, missed it, and repurchased it, then traded my EP5 for a EM10. Out of the three, I like the EM10 best. Ergonomics of EP5 are just wrong without a grip, and I really like having a viewfinder, with VF4, the whole package is very bulky. I liked EM5, but buttons are mushy, and it lacks quite a few newer features of the EM10.

I use EM10 with ECG1 and it feels pretty good to me, but personally, I like the HLD6 for the EM5 better with the shutter second button.
  8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I traded in my E-M5 for the E-P5 and am very glad I did. The button controls and customization fits my shooting style much more than the E-M5 ever did. I'll admit the E-P5s' lack of grip is a problem for those of us with larger hands but there are several remedies for that if you search the internet. It all comes down to which camera responds to your hands and for me the E-P5 fits like a glove. I must admit I've never handled an OMD E-M10 so I can't honestly compare the two but looking at the layout it looks to me like I should stick with the E-P5.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Owned an E-M5, handled an E-P5 and currently own an E-M10. Personally it's my favorite M43 body. It's just the right size, handles great with the grip (which works great with the quick release), and the buttons are placed just right. On top of that, it has the latest Olympus image processing and I haven't noticed any strange bugs like I did with the E-M5. It's pretty much killed my desire for any other camera body!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-M10 is a great remedy for GAS. Likewise, since owning it, I lost interest in other cameras. It has everything I need or will need.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  11. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Nobody's missing the 5-axis IBIS on the E-M5?

On the E-M5, I have difficulty doing a half-press on the shutter button to focus. Either I get nothing, or the shutter clicks. Is this inability to tell when the button is half-pressed part of the "mushy buttons" issue that several of you have mentioned? I've never had the opportunity to handle an E-M10 or an E-P5, so I have no grounds for comparison.
  12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I'm reminded of the (probably apocryphal) statement attributed to Bill Gates: "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    • Like Like x 2
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Have the E-P5, did play with an E-M10 for a while (I picked one up for a family member). But for the type of shooting I use it for the E-P5 is better. And it complements the FX Nikon stuff I already have and the E-M1 I plan on getting.
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've currently got an E-M5 which I just love. I've been through an E-PL5 and E-P5 but despite how good these cameras were, the lack of an eye-level EVF simply didn't work for me. I've got an E-M1 too now - which is a great camera, but I've not bonded with it like I have with the E-M5. Odd really since its handling is definitely better. However, its looks aren't what you'd call pretty and think the colours aren't quite as nice as those out of the E-M5.

I've played around with the E-M10 and like it a lot. TBH, if I were in the market now for a u43 body, I'd go for the E-M10. The live composite mode is great!
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 3-axis IBIS in the E-M10 is pretty darn good. For general use it does the job. Though I think for heavy duty usage like shooting MF glass, macro and long telephoto, I think the 5-axis IBIS might be a little better.
  16. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Like many others, I prefer the ergonomics of the E-P5 to the OMD models. Plus I like the choice of using a viewfinder. Without it, the E-P5 is significantly smaller. With the VF4, it has the best viewfinder available (2.36 versus 1.44 megapixels). I love being able to shoot with it tilted up 90 degrees. So, really, there is no choice for me.

Other pros:
    The E-P5 has 5 axis IBIS but the E-M10 has only the older 3-axis.
    The E-P5 uses the BLN-1 battery, like the EM-5 and EM-1. The E-M10 uses the BLS-5 battery, like earlier PEN models, which is just bizarre.
    The E-P5 has 1/8000s shutter speed and pulled ISO 100, and so is two stops more capable than the E-M10 in bright light.

And two cons:
    The E-M10 has more AF focus points (81) and so might be better at continuous focus for moving targets.
    The E-M10 has the improved JPG engine of the E-M1.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Have not done any direct comparisons/testing, but for me I think that the IQ of the EM10 is a bit better. Significantly in normal images - no. A bit better as far as dynamic range and higher ISO noise - definitely. Enough to make the "improvement" the deciding factor - probably not for most people. As I said, I never loved the buttons and control layout of the EM5 and decided to go back to the EP5. If, when I decided I really wanted a camera with a built in EVF there was no EM10, I probably would have gotten another EM5 and been very happy. But since the EM10 had the newer processor from the EM1 and some other improvements, and since I liked the idea of a slightly smaller body, the EM10 made more sense.
  18. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I went from the EM10 (through the EM5 and EP5) and as far as your "pros" for the EP5:
    (1) Yes it has the 5-Axis system, but unless you are doing a lot of video, you probably will not even notice the two missing ones as they really don't effect still shots. And the EM10 has the stabilization during video enhanced digitally, so the videos come out great anyway.
    (2) Yes it is the smaller battery, but to honest, I have not noticed a major difference in the amount of shots/chimping/etc. that I get. Perhaps if I owned a second camera that used the larger battery (but my second camera is the Stylus 1 which uses the same as the EM10).
    (3) Yes, the EM10 does not have the 1/8000 shutter speed, but it does have ISO LOW, which is the equivalent of your "pulled ISO 100".

Also, because the EM10 has the newer processor, it also does the really cool Live Composite, which is great if you like taking long exposures. Forget what other features the newer processor allows the EM10 to do.
  19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I beg to differ on one minor point: the E-P5's 5 axis IBIS is superior to the 3 axis when you are shooting very close up with the 60mm macro. The closer you get to 1:1 the more the 5 axis IBIS shows its stuff!
  20. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That is possible - I don't do a lot of macro shooting - but from what I have read, the two "missing" axises don't really impact on still photography. (And from what I have seen, going from the EM5/EP5 which both have it to the EM10 which doesn't, at least in my experience it has not made any significant difference.)