1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Swans on the Thames

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Christilou, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I went to Windsor last night and saw these swans taking off from the river at Eton Bridge. I only had the Panasonic 20mm lens and wished I had had a much longer one! I salvaged what I could in Lightroom. Everything was wrong with this scenario, they took of facing the sun, it was 8pm and quite dusky and I used a large aperture to get enough light:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Lancashire
    Nice evening shots, a good time for taking photos, I like the soft lighting.

Not shooting 'Facing the sun', for some reason was something we were taught when we were young, by people who were not photographers, I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    You did great with what you had Christi :thumbup:

That mZD 14-150 is going to be very useful!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I think you did a great job! I do know too well that frustration of wishing for a longer lens.

Beautiful setting. One of my iconic memories of visiting England, years ago, were the swans on the Thames. Thanks for these, Christilou.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

Thanks from me, too. I've spent a lot of time in England teaching summer classes over the years, and all the Brit images on this site make me anxious to get back, not that I wouldn't be anyway.

Such a beautiful country. I don't know how you manage to keep it that way, but believe me, I'm glad you do!

• Like Like x 1
  6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I like the series of them taking off.
    I always wanted to go to the Swan Upping on the Thames but always missed it.
    I have a collection of Books on the Thames going back to the late 19th century.

7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    The Thames

You probably know more about the river than I do :redface: I don't fancy Swan Upping myself, the weather isn't usually too reliable for a whole week on the waterways here. I wonder how long these traditions will continue?

8. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1