Swans on the Thames

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Christilou, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I went to Windsor last night and saw these swans taking off from the river at Eton Bridge. I only had the Panasonic 20mm lens and wished I had had a much longer one! I salvaged what I could in Lightroom. Everything was wrong with this scenario, they took of facing the sun, it was 8pm and quite dusky and I used a large aperture to get enough light:doh:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Harribo

Harribo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2010
    Nice evening shots, a good time for taking photos, I like the soft lighting.

Not shooting 'Facing the sun', for some reason was something we were taught when we were young, by people who were not photographers, I guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    You did great with what you had Christi :thumbup:

That mZD 14-150 is going to be very useful!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I think you did a great job! I do know too well that frustration of wishing for a longer lens.

Beautiful setting. One of my iconic memories of visiting England, years ago, were the swans on the Thames. Thanks for these, Christilou.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

Thanks from me, too. I've spent a lot of time in England teaching summer classes over the years, and all the Brit images on this site make me anxious to get back, not that I wouldn't be anyway.

Such a beautiful country. I don't know how you manage to keep it that way, but believe me, I'm glad you do!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I like the series of them taking off.
    I always wanted to go to the Swan Upping on the Thames but always missed it.
    I have a collection of Books on the Thames going back to the late 19th century.
  7. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    The Thames

You probably know more about the river than I do :redface: I don't fancy Swan Upping myself, the weather isn't usually too reliable for a whole week on the waterways here. I wonder how long these traditions will continue?
  8. JoeG

JoeG Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1